Turntable Issue

Moving the system away from the sub is worth trying, and if that doesn't help just try it with the sub switched off. (I wouldn't realign the tonearm yet - work out if it's the sub first)
It did help, it’s nearly eliminated it altogether although it’s still there at high volume although nowhere near as pronounced. I like to listen at high volumes when the neighbour and Family are out so keen to get rid of it all together.

I could move the system even further away from the subs and put in the middle of the speakers. Only issue is that then it would be directly in front of a radiator. Would that be ok?

new position

Attachments

• E6205A58-D1C0-4236-BAA5-38BDDEFE69BA.jpeg
    E6205A58-D1C0-4236-BAA5-38BDDEFE69BA.jpeg
    210.3 KB · Views: 30
Yes that sub is too close. Decent Subs can be placed almost anywhere in a room and tuned as appropriate. When I initially placed my sub under a large picture in a frame it rattled the frame when a bass note arrived! It is now next to the sofa on the opposite side of the room to the speakers - out of harm's way and sounding very good.

So it is a feedback issue. As suggested, try it without the Sub. If all is well then there is an issue with vibration coming from the Sub and getting into the TT which is radiating out of the speakers into the TT etc etc etc. From your photo, can you get the Sub onto that carpet, that may help.
I could get the system further away by putting in middle of speakers. The only reason I haven’t done it is because I didn’t think putting the stereo that close in front of a radiator would do it any good. What do you think ?

excuse the huge baby gate ..I have a psychotic Cockapoo puppy.

8010C36E-08A6-49B6-B6EA-2C2038FE7445.jpeg

Yes that sub is too close. Decent Subs can be placed almost anywhere in a room and tuned as appropriate. When I initially placed my sub under a large picture in a frame it rattled the frame when a bass note arrived! It is now next to the sofa on the opposite side of the room to the speakers - out of harm's way and sounding very good.
I’ve got two subs ..one either side ..

Ok, so you are well on your way to solving the problem. How about approaching it from another angle. Have you considered putting your Turntable on a wall shelf so it breaks the Sub/Wooden floor/Rack/Turntable chain? I did this many years ago and noticed a sound improvement.

Ok, so you are well on your way to solving the problem. How about approaching it from another angle. Have you considered putting your Turntable on a wall shelf so it breaks the Sub/Wooden floor/Rack/Turntable chain? I did this many years ago and noticed a sound improvement.
that’s definitely something I would consider but the whole system will be moving into the garage once it’s converted into a man cave late this summer so I won’t do it in this room.

what’s your view on moving the system in between the speakers.. would be about a foot to a foot and half in front of the radiator??

Last edited:
that’s definitely something I would consider but the whole system will be moving into the garage once it’s converted into a man cave late this summer so I won’t do it in this room.

what’s your view on moving the system in between the speakers.. would be about a foot to a foot and half in front of the radiator??
1-1.5 ft should be fine, especially as the radiator shouldn’t be on much from now on over the next few months. Over the winter not so sure, you just need to see what kind of heat there is.

1-1.5 ft should be fine, especially as the radiator shouldn’t be on much from now on over the next few months. Over the winter not so sure, you just need to see what kind of heat there is.
Thanks... I’ll move it now and by the winter it should be in the man cave anyway.

Thanks... I’ll move it now and by the winter it should be in the man cave anyway.
Also I have found the Auralex Subdude to be excellent at stopping vibrations being transmitted to the floor. Bit pricey, but effective.

Also this nice chap has a free wall shelf going to anyone who can collect from Cheshire. For Sale - Target TT1 turntable stand - FREE

Wherever your TT ends up, or if all else fails in the meantime, the wall is the best place for any TT.

Also I have found the Auralex Subdude to be excellent at stopping vibrations being transmitted to the floor. Bit pricey, but effective.

Also this nice chap has a free wall shelf going to anyone who can collect from Cheshire. For Sale - Target TT1 turntable stand -

Wherever your TT ends up, or if ball else fails in the meantime, the wall is the best place for any TT.
The subs are are both on acoufoam isolation pads:

The speakers are on granite chopping boards too.

When system in converted garage I’ll definitely look at the shelf idea.

thanks for your advice

For now, before moving to your man cave garage and putting the turntable on a shelf, do you have any isolating feet underneath it? If not, that might help. They needn't be expensive, anything soft and rubbery you might have lying about the house is worth a try - years ago I used to use old squash balls cut in half to good effect.

And yes, 1-1.5ft from the radiator should be fine - if you are concerned on those occasions you might have the heating on, a folded towel placed over the part directly behind the equipment should protect it.

For now, before moving to your man cave garage and putting the turntable on a shelf, do you have any isolating feet underneath it? If not, that might help. They needn't be expensive, anything soft and rubbery you might have lying about the house is worth a try - years ago I used to use old squash balls cut in half to good effect.

And yes, 1-1.5ft from the radiator should be fine - if you are concerned on those occasions you might have the heating on, a folded towel placed over the part directly behind the equipment should protect it.

The turntable has no isolation feet beneath it, it’s just on the technics adjustable feet.

I’m quite happy to buy some isolation feet for the turntable. Do you have to take off the technics feet to fit the isolation feet?

as you can tell I’m a utter novice when it comes to turntables.

thanks for your advice.

Last edited:
The turntable has no isolation feet beneath it, it’s just on the technics adjustable feet.

I’m quite happy to buy some isolation feet for the turntable. Do you have to take off the technics feet to fit the isolation feet?

thanks for your advice.
They should just unscrew if they’re anything like the ones on a 1200/1210. These are a popular choice
Amazon product ASIN B07KDVLF6D

thanks for your advice.
You could remove the feet and attached new ones, and there are some expensive ones out there (like those Isonoe ones from Amazon). But you're just experimenting, you don't know if they'll work, and you might not need them once you've moved out to the garage.

So I wouldn't try anything expensive yet, I'd try something a lot cheaper first... I'd get some cheap sorbothane feet or pads, which lots of eBay sellers have. Either hemispherical ones, or flat circular ones, and place them underneath the existing feet. Just be sure they're wide enough. I've done it before with a Rega turntable, and it worked really well.

open or shut the lid may help
That’s a good point, the lid can be a bit of an aerial for airborne vibrations and should probably be removed altogether if playing loudly. Although in this case it seems pretty certain that the vibrations are coming through the floor and stand from the sub.

You could remove the feet and attached new ones, and there are some expensive ones out there (like those Isonoe ones from Amazon). But you're just experimenting, you don't know if they'll work, and you might not need them once you've moved out to the garage.

So I wouldn't try anything expensive yet, I'd try something a lot cheaper first... I'd get some cheap sorbothane feet or pads, which lots of eBay sellers have. Either hemispherical ones, or flat circular ones, and place them underneath the existing feet. Just be sure they're wide enough. I've done it before with a Rega turntable, and it worked really well.
Something like these?

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
Yes, make sure you get the ones that are designed for a weight range that covers your TT. There’s normally a guide.
Thank you, will do !!

Yes, make sure you get the ones that are designed for a weight range that covers your TT. There’s normally a guide.
The ones linked take 5kg per hemisphere, total 20kg spread across the 4. The TT I think weighs 5kg. So these should be fine ?

The ones linked take 5kg per hemisphere, total 20kg spread across the 4. The TT I think weighs 5kg. So these should be fine ?
They should do fine.

But I have an even cheaper possibility... I've just found I have four spare sorbothane pads here that I have no use for. They're flat, 38mm diameter, 19mm thickness. You can have them if you want to try them - just send me a private message with an address to send them to.

Last edited:
They should do fine.

But I have an even cheaper possibility... I've just found I have four spare sorbothane pads here that I have no use for. They're flat, 38mm diameter, 19mm thickness. You can have them if you want to try them - just send me a private message with an address to send them to.
That’s very kind of you. I’ll drop you a message.

thank you very much.

Look on Amazon or eBay at others selling the same thing, I’ve seen a chart before and there is a lower as well as upper recommended weight. Basically you want their compression under load to be in the right window or their vibration absorbing properties won’t behave as intended.

Scotland vs. Japan :)

Mission ‘Isoplat’ was the go to option many moons ago, along with a wall mounted ‘target’ shelf mount.

Joe

Scotland vs. Japan :)

Mission ‘Isoplat’ was the go to option many moons ago, along with a wall mounted ‘target’ shelf mount.

Joe
Still Got my Mission Isoplat, bought from Doug Brady HiFi in Liverpool mid 1980's. It sits under my Pre-Amp.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom