1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Turntable Interconnects: What type for blissful analog playback?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by VoltronUS, Jan 14, 2005.

1. VoltronUS

VoltronUS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am hoping to replace the stock/captive interconnects on my 1980's Dual TT with RCA outs. I have a plan for how to do that, so now the question is what kind of cables to use when I'm done. Anyone care to share their opinions on this question? Do you like copper cables, silver cables, a combination, or something more exotic still? Shielded? Braided? Etc.? My other components are connected to my pre/pro with silver cables, and silver again from there to the amplifiers. The speaker cables are copper.

Thanks in advance, and cheers,
    V

2. Odyessy kid

Odyessy kid

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would try Groenberg interconnects they have a very neutral sound, so if your cartrage is a quality one, you should have a great effect. They ae also not very expensive.yet will hold up against hire priced ic's.

That's my opinion atleast.

3. Odyessy kid

Odyessy kid

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would try Groenberg interconnects they have a very neutral sound, so if your cartrage is a quality one, you should have a great effect. They are also not very expensive.yet will hold up against hire priced ic's.

That's my opinion atleast.

4. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    Where do you get them from Odyessy?

5. VoltronUS

VoltronUS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Odyessy. I will take a look for them. At least one person along my quest for information has said that if I am not re-wiring the arm then I shouldn't bother with the ICs. Any thoughts on that one?

6. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    It can get into the law of diminishing returns!....ideally,replacing the signal path from arm to preamp would be best,but rewiring any arm isn't the easiest task in the world,and you would have to ask yourself if it's worth doing that to the arm on your TT....the Duals were highly regarded in the 80's,but the arm wasn't it's best part,and I personally wouldn't rewire it(assuming it's the original arm).
    As to changing the IC's from turntable to preamp....at the sort of price range you're looking at for the turntable,a good quality screened copper interconnect should be more than adequate,and I wouldn't be looking to anything more costly unless the turntable/arm/cartridge were significantly more expensive.

7. VoltronUS

VoltronUS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks alexs2. I am coming around to just playing it the way it is--which is pretty good--and then buying a more modern high-end TT. My wife is very proud of her Dual because when she bought it in the 80s it was considered a great table and she paid a dear sum at the time. I am amazed after being shipped and moved across the States a couple of times it is in as good of shape as it is. Anyway, thanks again for the input.

V

8. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    A pleasure....as I said,the Duals were well regarded in the 70s/80s,and were well made(as you've obviously found out),and also had pretty good sound quality for both the time,and the price.

I think your decision to leave it untouched is very sensible,and the choice of modern high end turntables is still very large....I'm sure when you do decide to do that,there'll be plenty of advice available here if you need any.