Question Turntable hum through one channel.

projectgranite

Novice Member
Reaction score
I’ve just been rebuilding my Pro-next 1xpression with a granite plinth. It’s worked fine for a couple of weeks but today has developed a loud hum through the left channel. When I swap the inputs at the amplifier the problem switches to the right channel. I’ve tried my daughters turntable through the same amp and it works fine. The amp is an Audiolab 8000A which I’ve just had serviced and new input sockets installed by Kevin Green. Any ideas as to what to try next?

Have you tried disconnecting the wires from the back of the cartridge to see of the hum remains?

Have you tried disconnecting the wires from the back of the cartridge to see of the hum remains?
No. Not yet. I’m a bit scared to go near those delicate wires to be honest! If I fiddle with the phono sockets where they connect to the amp the hum comes and goes. Maybe a problem with the plugs?

It could be the wiring in the plugs. are the phono leads captive or can you try another set?

Looks like it might be time to learn how to solder and change the plugs! Any recommendations for soldering irons and rca plugs?

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom