Turntable help

icemanfrosty

Hi Everyone, I was after some advice please.

I am currently going through therapy and taken the first steps to get help

Music is a huge part of me and a great healer and have always wanted to get into vinyls, only problem is I do not know where to start.

I have a limited budget and would like to get a turntable with some bookshelf speakers.

I understand I would either need a turntable with a built in phono stage which means I can just get powered speakers, or go the other way and buy a amp.

The rest I don't understand like direct drive and automatic something lol just want it to sound good to be honest.

Thanks for reading this post any help would be great thanks.

Ugg10

Distinguished Member
When you say you have a limited budget what does that mean?

I would say that a minimum of £500 is needed for a new system. Also if you don’t have lp’s already then buying the turntable/amp/speakers will be the cheap part with vinyl costing at least £20 each these days and even at charity shops they are still not cheap.

If you have not got them then probably better paying a monthly subscription for a streaming service which will give you 50million plus tracks to choose from For the price of 6 LP’s per year or less.

Here’s a few ready made bundles, these type of bundles are available at quite a few dealers and normally provide reasonable savings.

Second hand can provide you more bang for your buck but needs a fair bit of research, also have a look at the big retailers clearance / ex demo sections - Sevenoaks, Peter Tyson, Richer, Audio T, Fanthorpes, Harrow, Audio Visuals Online, Hifix are a few.

Hope this gets things started.

AmericanAudio

AVForums Sponsor
I have a Project Primary E phono deck in our BF deals at the moment. (Link in sig below)

So having the built in phono stage it can connect to any line input stage on active speakers and amps.

This would then allow you to choose / find (a better current description of the supply chain) a nice pair or speakers to use.

Chris, AAC

Ugg10

Distinguished Member
Worth noting that if you go with true active speakers like Adam T7V, Tannoy Gold 7 etc. then these do not have a volume control so you will need a variable attenuator between the phono stage (separate or built into the turntable). These are sometimes called passive preamps or monitor controllers, there are simple ones from Douok, Hifi biased ones from NVA and Tisbury or studio ones like the Mackie Big Knob or SMPro M-Patch.

Other powered speakers like the Edifiers do have volume control and some have a turntable input as well.

AmericanAudio

AVForums Sponsor
I have a Project Primary E phono deck in our BF deals at the moment. (Link in sig below)

So having the built in phono stage it can connect to any line input stage on active speakers and amps.

This would then allow you to choose / find (a better current description of the supply chain) a nice pair or speakers to use.

Chris, AAC
Unless it was you, unfortunately it has just sold!!

Sorry.

The latest video from AVForums

Sony Bravia XR A80J OLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom