Turntable help - Audio Technica LP5 vs Sony PSHX500 vs Rega Planar 1 Plus

Sgiandubh

So, I am no audiophile, but i recognise there are equipment out there such as Linn LP12, paired with Arcam amps etc... that might be considered top of the tree, but I am no where near any of these.

I am looking to purchase my first turntable in years, but i don't want completely entry level, i don't want one of these "funky" retro styled spinners that fold up into a case. I am sure they serve a purpose, just not mine.

I don't have a pre-amp but I am looking to pair the turntable with my current home cinema amp which is a Denon x2300w (which doesn't have a phono input, hence i mentioned the pre-amp) so i am ideally looking for a unit that either comes with a phono stage built in, or it is cost effective to by the turntable and a pre-amp.

I have done a bit of searching and have arrived at the following models:

Audio Technica LP5 - Sony PSHX500 - Rega Planar 1 Plus

I know that the Rega is by all means the best sound quality, but is it that far ahead of the others? the reason i ask is i can get either of the other two via more cost effective measures (buy now pay later) rather than an outright cash purchase.

I should also add that it is my intention to place the unit in my media centre which has a limited clearance, i am sure it is big enough for the Rega (sans cover) but i am not convinced the others will quite fit, the space is about 16cm roughly. Also, given that i won't be able to use the cover, is there a better options to protect the unit when its not in use?

Personally I would go with the Rega, but if you want to record your vinyl the Sony would be a better option, I think you will be limited on cartridge choices with the Sony...

Sgiandubh

Out of interest how big a difference would a different cartridge make to something like the Rega over stock?

megatron

Standard Member
Out of interest how big a difference would a different cartridge make to something like the Rega over stock?
A different cartridge will make a big difference as the stock one which comes with Planar 1 is an average cartridge. I do not know your budget but it might be a good idea to look for a used Planar 2 as there is a huge difference between 1 and 2 even with the same stock carbon cartridge.

Sgiandubh

A different cartridge will make a big difference as the stock one which comes with Planar 1 is an average cartridge. I do not know your budget but it might be a good idea to look for a used Planar 2 as there is a huge difference between 1 and 2 even with the same stock carbon cartridge.

well my budget was original only about £250 but I am stretching that to consider the planar 1 plus

megatron

Standard Member
well my budget was original only about £250 but I am stretching that to consider the planar 1 plus
You can definitely find a used Planar 2 within your budget and trust me different platter and tonearm on Planar 2 makes a huge difference.
I got myself a used Planar 3 but before that, I was looking to buy a New Planar 2 with Elys 2 so I went to a shop and asked them to demo both 2 and 3 and Oh boy there is a huge difference between them even with same Elys 2 cartridge. I am super happy with my purchase.

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: We review Dune and ask which is the best decade for horror movies?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom