turntable grounding problem

mredvers

hello.

i used to have my turntable grounded on the back of my old denon amp but since getting a newer system i needed to buy a small pre-amp in order to use my turntable.
the only thing i forgot was the new system has no means of grounding the turntable!so i have an awful humm whilst playing records:mad:

does anybody know of a good way to ground the turntable? i have tried simply attaching it a metallic object that is plugged to the mains to no avail..

i have heard that attaching the strap to a radiator can help but my girlfriend would hate any cabling coming away from the system as its quite far away from where the turntable is.

Nogbad

It seems a bit odd that the phono pre-amp doesn't have an earth screw as an earth wire is a pretty standard part of the phono set-up. Don't suppose you can connect it to the amp chassis earth in some way?

The lack of a phono input ruled out most amps for me when I was looking for a replacement amp as I couldn't be bothered getting yet another box.

mredvers

my thoughts exactly on the pre-amp.it was rather cheap little box from richer sounds.maybe i could find a way of earthing it to that.maybe just unscrewing a screw and sliding the ground wire underneath?

failing a solution could anybody recommend a cheap pre-amp with grounding function?

p.s. have not really looked at the amp chassis as it is quite "modern and plastic".maybe i could find some metal somewhere....

co55ie

You should just be able to ground the turntable by undoing a screw slightly and sliding the earth wire under it.

By any chance is your little preamp a Vivanco ?

co55ie

ground the turntable to one of the screws on the side of it and if that doesnt cure the hum run a cable and ground it to a chassis screw on the amp aswell.

I have the Vivanco and havent had any problems

Arfa

The lack of a phono input ruled out most amps for me when I was looking for a replacement amp as I couldn't be bothered getting yet another box.

Funny, built in phono stage was the reason I upgraded my amp. :)
I had a C.A. A4 with phono stage built in, problem was, you can't take the phono stage out and revert the input to normal line level. The phono stage was cheap and crap, so I had upgraded to a better external one, but didn't have enough line level inputs on my amp any more.

Agreed all in one box is definitely neater, although sometimes can be limiting. At least my new amp had a mains out to power the external phono stage, so I don't have to worry about turning it on or off.

To the OP, it sounds like buying the cheapest phono stage was a false economy in this case. Maybe take it back and check out the Cambridge Audio 540p or 640p, the latter gets very good reviews. Otherwise look out for a cheap Pro-Ject or Nad phono stage on ebay.

mredvers

nice one,will give it a try.

failing that i may go for a cambridge unit.

thanks for advice!!

The latest video from AVForums

LG G1 OLED Evo TV and SVS SB-1000 Pro subwoofer reviews, Samsung OLED rumours and more...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom