Turntable for Marantz PM8200

Karolina

Novice Member
Reaction score
Good evening all,
I will be completely honest. I don’t have any knowledge at all. So sorry in advance if my question sounds to silly to someone.

I have amp Marantz PM8200 and trying to find any turntable to go with it. It will be using only for records playing, nothing else.

I found a few with good reviews:
Rega Planar 1
Pro-ject Debut Carbon Esprit
But I’m not sure they will work with Marantz PM8200 at all.
Can you advise I need anything else to make this working, pls?
I will be very grateful for any advice. And big thank you in advance.
Karolina

The PM8200 has a phono input so you can use either of those 2 turntables without buying anything else.

Morning - Both good turntables, there a fans of each who will offer an opinion. Buy to suit your budget and what you think looks the best and fits your current system. Both will sound very similar. Personally I would go for the RP1 but that’s just me. You don’t need the “upgraded” RP1 Plus as I believe it has an inbuilt phono stage and your amp already has one..

Both Project and Rega will give you years of happy listening

Thank you Ascotbilly and Kapkirk for your reply. Is there anything else on the market looking less modern you would recommend, please?

Well there are a few from Audio Technica and TEAC and of course plenty on the second hand market like the older Dual's and some 70'80s Technics, Hitachi, Sansui's, it all depends on what you're really looking for. Have a scour through eBay to see what style you really want. I think decks from Thorens, old and new will be too expensive but are great TT's.
Some of the older Technics like the SL220, SL230 are excellent sounding decks (even today) and can be had for about £150 in good order. One of the best sounding old 80's decks I owned was a Sansui SR222 but only you can know what you really want.
If you don't want to spend too much and would prefer a wood finish is to have a look at the project T line in walnut finish @£299, it comes with a decent om5e cartridge and sounds great.
One thing I will say you might want to also consider is a semi automatic deck as these will return the arm to the rest after playback, very handy to have. Fully manual decks like the Rega and Project's are the way to go if you just want the best quality playback but the convenience of a semi auto deck should not be underestimated and some still sound great too.

Thank you Ascotbilly and Kapkirk for your reply. Is there anything else on the market looking less modern you would recommend, please?
Less modern in looks ? Have a look at Dual and the costlier Thorens

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom