Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Turntable earthing.

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by number 8, Mar 21, 2005.

1. number 8

number 8
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, I have a turntable connected to a NAD per amp that is connected to a Cambridge power amp. The problem is that I get feedback from the turntable unless I use it at low volume which is because it doesn't have an earth. I have been looking for a replacement turntable on e-bay but I'm not sure how to identify if the turntable has an earth or not. Can anyone tell me how I can do this ?.
    Cheers,
    N-8

2. Beobloke

Beobloke

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +66
    What turntable do you have now? It should be easy enough to add an earth wire to it.

3. Londondecca

Londondecca

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +103
    I am not sure it is an earthing problem. This would give a loud humming noise not feedback

4. Paul Williams

Paul Williams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    A feedback type effect could be induced, if the turntable was close to a speaker and thus the cartridge itself was being excited by the speaker output at higher volumes. If one of your speakers is near the turntable try moving it away and see if this reduces/negates the problem.

Paul

5. number 8

number 8
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ...hi all, actually it is a loud humming sound. The word feedback seemed like the best way to describe it at the time.
    I couldn't tell you what kind of deck it is, I inherited it and it's just a generic black plastic, beltdrive turntable (not very good ).
    There does seem to be an earth comming from the power wire that is black and is connected to the centre of the underneath of the platter.....
    number-8

6. mhifoe

mhifoe
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Have you tried connecting the earth wire to your amp?

If your amp doesn't have a dedicated turntable earth connection, try connecting it to one of the case screws. If you are using a preamp, make sure this is earthed to the turntable as well.

7. number 8

number 8
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, what I'm asuming is the earth wire comes out of the power supply circuit and goes directly to the pin in the underneath centre of the platter. To connect it to the amp some modification would be required. Also having just had a move around to make better use of space the damn thing is giving no sound at all now....I may have to replace it anyway.
    Cheers,
    N-8