Turntable connectivity to sonos AMP 1

simonwatt

Novice Member
I have a Soundlab DLP1600 turntable. I also have a sonos amp 1.
I am a total newbie to this tech and only know enough to be dangerous!

I have connected the turntable to the amp via RCA cables and I have two powered Polk speakers connected to my Sonos AMP.
I can hear music, just...It is very quiet even at full volume.

So my question is, do I need to connect this particular turntable to a more powerful amp?

Thanks
Simon

TheHighFlyingBirds

Hi Simon, you need a phono amp which sits between the turntable and the sonos amp, unless your turntable has a built in phono amp (I cant find any info on it).

Examples of phono amps worth looking at are the Rega fono mini A2D MK2, Ifi zen phono or pro-ject phono box.

Before buying a phono amp, you'll need to check what cartridge you have on the turntable (MM or MC). What cartridge have you got on your turntable?

simonwatt

Novice Member
Hi Simon, you need a phono amp which sits between the turntable and the sonos amp, unless your turntable has a built in phono amp (I cant find any info on it).

Examples of phono amps worth looking at are the Rega fono mini A2D MK2, Ifi zen phono or pro-ject phono box.

Before buying a phono amp, you'll need to check what cartridge you have on the turntable (MM or MC). What cartridge have you got on your turntable?
Great, thanks for the help. Much appreciated.
Not sure what cartridge I have! How do I check?

Ugg10

Distinguished Member
if you can take a photo and add it on here then I am sure someone will be able to identify it. Or look for model/make writing on it.

Ugg10

Distinguished Member
Doing as bit of digging, looks like it was originally supplied with a Sanyo STG9 stylus but not sure what cartridge, but likely to be a Moving Magnet (MM) at this price bracket but may have been changed.

Looks like the original may have been a Sanyo MG9 - does it look like this -

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Streaming Theatrical Releases And The Future Of Cinema
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom