Turntable cartridges. Does higher inductance = better performance?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by sjbrodie, May 16, 2017.

1. sjbrodie

sjbrodie
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I'm thinking of upgrading my cartridge from a goldring 2100 to the slightly more expensive 2200. Looking at the specs of both, the only difference is a jump in internal inductance from 550mH to 680mH in the 2200. The other things that appear different about the 2200 is a plated alloy cantilever and super permalloy poleshoes. Does this feature distinguish itself from more budget-level cartridges? What about the inductance. What does it mean and is it very significant? Looking at the most expensive in the goldring "2000 series" the 2500 model has inductance of 720mH. I'm not looking at spending a lot, just want a little more out of my system (and maybe a bit of advice on value for money on a mm cart) I have the phono box S which has switchable input impedance/capacitance. For the record, I was happy with the sound of the 2100. The series is generally regarded as "bright" which I don't actually have a problem with. Appreciate any input.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 16, 2017
  2. Mark.Yudkin

Mark.Yudkin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,530
    Higher inductance does not translate to better performance. If anything, a high inductance might cause issues with frequency response if the head amp isn't "compatible". MC cartridges, which (generally) can yield a better performance than the MM cartridge, such as you have and are considering, typically have a low inductance.

Take a look at Magnetic Phono Pickup Cartridges for a good explanation of cartridge parameters.

I know you didn't ask, so feel free to stop reading, but I rather think that the cost of replacing the Goldring 2100 with a 2200 would be rather higher than the benefit.

3. sjbrodie

sjbrodie
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Appreciate the detailed feedback. It's time to buy a new cart but spending much more would probably be overkill for my pro ject debut. May be worth considering something more expensive though...