Turntable buzzing in left channel

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by Bikestard, Apr 29, 2017.

1. Bikestard

Bikestard
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello, I'm quite new to this and have bought a Rotel RP1033. It was sold with a shake at 33, which I fixed (weighting issue), but the phono plugs were disconnected, wires loose at the pre amp end of the cables. I used my basic knowledge to solder a replacement phono cable but there is now a buzzing in the left channel. Speaker produces the record sound, but with a background hum.

I know thia could probably be many things, but is there any advice on things Inshould check?

2. BlueWizard

BlueWizard
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,135
    Bad ground, bad cable, or poor or shorted solder connection seem the most likely problems.

Steve/bluewizard

3. Bikestard

Bikestard
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Steve, would I be wise to clean the terminals and resolder with a new phono cable?

My main worry is that it's the cable in the turntable that runs to the arm, which I would be out of my depth changing.

4. Bikestard

Bikestard
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok, so I tried lots of things, and as a last resort thought I would try swapping the headshell with my Sansui SR222 MK2. Works perfectly, so the issue is the headshell.

Can't swap cartridge/stylus as they are different fittings, but it's in the headshell somewhere.

Any ideas of the most likely cause of buzzing on the left channel causes by the Headahell. All connections look fine and sound comes from both speakers.

Tried faulty headshell on another TT and same problem.

The stylus is crap anyway, so possibly thinking replace the whole headshell?

5. BlueWizard

BlueWizard
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,135
    Likely not the Headshell as it is completely passive, though I can't say NO with 100% certainty.

Check the contacts where the headshell goes into the tonearm body. You might have a dirty or corroded contact. Check these contacts in both the Headshell and the Tonearm. Though it seems more like, if this is the problem, that it is the headshell.

Then check the very small wires that connect the Cartridge to the Headshell body, because those wires are so tiny, they can easily break, or in some cases fray down to a single wire. A frayed or broken wire is most likely since, as I said, these wires are very small.

The contacts and the wires are about the only thing that can go wrong. If it is not that, then likely something internal to the cartridge has failed.

Yes, you can replace the cartridge, and you can replace the headshell. That Headshells are pretty much standard, so if you can't get an exact replacement, you can certainly get a universal replacement.

Amazon.co.uk: tonearm cartridge headshell

Amazon.co.uk: universal cartridge headshell

Notice there are also wire replacement kits.

Steve/bluewizard

6. Bikestard

Bikestard
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you Steve. The cartridge was mounted in the headshell at the furthest back position, so the terminals were all very close and contacts and wires bunched up and bending. I moved the cartidge forward a few mm to straighten them out and get a better look at the contacts and the hum is gone.

All the solders looked OK and the wires all fine, but something must have been under too much stress due to wires all bending a lot I guess.

Anyway, a happy ending, and help much appreciated.