Turntable amplifier needed for TX 606

Shaun666

Just wondered if anyone can recommend a good turntable amplifier so I can connect my TT up to my new ONK since it doesn't have separate inputs for phono.

jwlawler

Just wondered if anyone can recommend a good turntable amplifier so I can connect my TT up to my new ONK since it doesn't have separate inputs for phono.
Is it a particularly good turntable? If not, another possibility is to change the turntable, some these days contain a pre-amp and can output at line levels. But, it may only be the cheap models which do this. I bought a cheap turntable a while ago so that I can occasionally play my old vinyl. It contains a pre-amp. At the time, my main amp was a NAD receiver and had a phono input so this feature was an unused curiosity. Now that I have switched to an Onkyo 605, I need it (on the very rare occasions that I play any vinyl).

An odd possibility would be to use an old stereo amp which I guess that you have. Connect the turntable to it and its auxiliary out (or tape out of there is no aux out) to a suitable input on the Onkyo.

Shaun666

Is it a particularly good turntable? If not, another possibility is to change the turntable, some these days contain a pre-amp and can output at line levels. But, it may only be the cheap models which do this. I bought a cheap turntable a while ago so that I can occasionally play my old vinyl. It contains a pre-amp. At the time, my main amp was a NAD receiver and had a phono input so this feature was an unused curiosity. Now that I have switched to an Onkyo 605, I need it (on the very rare occasions that I play any vinyl).

An odd possibility would be to use an old stereo amp which I guess that you have. Connect the turntable to it and its auxiliary out (or tape out of there is no aux out) to a suitable input on the Onkyo.
It's a Linn Axis so not thinking of replacing it. Just want a small pre-amplifier. I see Nad and Project make a few including ones that have USB connection as well so just wondering if anyone has used one of these and what they think of them.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: CES 2021 Special - Sony, LG, Panasonic, Samsung, TCL and Hisense TV news and more...
Top Bottom