Turntable Advice

harkpabst

Lots of good advice.

I owned the rega 3 (the older one) a few years back with a Linn K9 rb300 and it was enjoyable to use and listen too, I think the new Pro Ject Pro sounds a bit more dynamic, and more low end grunt.
While I cannot compare the really nice and purposeful looking Pro-ject Pro to anything (since I've never heard it) I have to say that the current Rega Planar 3 2016 is really a huge step up from the old RB300 based model. I have owned them both (plus a couple of other Turntables from Rega, Thorens, Linn, ...).

To the unaided eye it may look as though the OR has not changed much over the years but in reality the lid and the tonearm lift lever are probably the only parts that didn't change: Rigidly mounted 24V Motor, fine-tuned for least vibration; metal pulley; controlled contact area subplatter; improved belt (retrofitable to older models); improved bearing, vertically pressure-free mounted to the plinth; three-point-fixing of tonearm (again, putting no vertical mechanical pressure on the plinth); double-bracing; tighter tolerances arm bearings; availability of external power supply, to name just a few differences. Heck, not even the world famous arm tube is the same anymore as on the RB300 (and it's really been improved, not just cheaper to make).

Ok, I think I already said I'm biased. The current P3 is surely a great turntable. If you cannot afford.the P6. Or the P8. Or the P10. Or the Naiad (I suppose). :D

DJTipster

From my experience and upgrading I would advise buying what you actually want even if that means “saving up” for it.

I read that the X1 is not a “forgiving” TT and that it may expose lesser equipment in a set up. Personally I’d look more into the Debut Pro and compare the two, plus it’s £100 cheaper.

There's so many fantastic reviews of both the X1 and the Pro. I only knocked the Pro off as I thought well it's only £100 difference so may as well go for the X1. Reading the reviews of the X1 vs Pro seems like they both have their differences. It was my concern that getting the X1 would expose my amplifier and maybe not so much on the Pro.

This morning I was about to press "Checkout" on an X1 until I caught up on this thread 😅 I've got 10% code off an X1 which now takes it to like £720ish and with a completely maximum budget of ~£700 I thought that was pretty decent

I'm looking for my "end game" turntable (if i was to completely replace now) and don't ever want to replace the new one i decide on now. Whether that be the X1 or Pro .. sorry to the Rega fans but something about the Pro-Jects just keep pulling me to then. X1 or Pro then with my set up - ahhh this bloody rabbit hole !!

Ascotbilly

I’m also looking for the “end game” TT.
With that in mind I’d also consider the looks and design. I’d didn’t like the overly deep plinth on the X1. Side by side in store the Debut Pro was a much smarter piece of kit.

DJTipster

I've done it. I've gone for a ... drum roll please.... 🥁🥁🥁

Pro-Ject Debut Pro !

Thank you to everyone on here that has helped and looked into this for me. Got another code which took the price down so got for £640. Figured this was a good deal and have gone for it. Looks great and seems easily upgradeable should I want to in the future.

Will report back once arrived of how it is going !

Thanks again all

harkpabst

End game turntable and you didn't listen to it even once? 😬

Good luck. And I really mean good luck, no sarcasm.

DJTipster

End game turntable and you didn't listen to it even once? 😬

Good luck. And I really mean good luck, no sarcasm.

Haha yes mate I know what you mean. No offence taken no worries.

It gets fantastic reviews as you know, and is fully upgradeable. So okay might not be absolutely end game but then what is in the hifi world I suppose after upgrades etc

Still will be out for debate so let's see how it performs when I get it and will update the thread 🙂

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung S95B QD-OLED Review - A Quantum Leap for OLED!
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom