Turntable advice.

Earl

Standard Member
Reaction score
I have been looking to build myself a stereo system, including a turntable, as i have recently started collecting vinyl. I currently listen to vinyls on an old system which belonged to my mother. It's not great

Anyway, i had been looking at a pro-ject debut 3 turntable, at about £200. I then, rather by chance, happened upon the pioneer pl-990 turntable. It is quite a lot cheaper, and from what i've seen, reviews are similar.

I'd imagine you guys here would have a good idea on the quality, and advice would be appreciated.

Thanks, Earl

I have heard from lots of forums that the Rega Planar 2 or 3 is a good bet. Quite a simply turntable, but sounds very nice, lots of reviews give it 5/5 and say it sounds 'very musical'.

Just a suggestion

:)

The Project and the Rega Planar 3 are very similar in design and delivery and are good entry level real hifi grade. You will enjoy your music.

The link above to the Project is a great link

I currently listen to vinyls on an old system which belonged to my mother. It's not great

If this is a system with a poor quality cartridge, I would suggest you use it as little as possible. It could cause damage to the LPs which would be noticeable when you start playing them on a decent turntable.

Vintage Pioneer turntables are still very much in demand. I've got a very old Pioneer PL-A35, and it has served me well for decades.

However, if you are buying a used one, there can be one small problem; the anti-skate counter weight. This is a tiny little weight that hangs off the back of the tone arm to counter the cartridges natural tendency to 'skate' cross the record. IT IS SOOOO EASY, for this tiny little part to get lost or forgotten. Make sure if your potential turntable uses this type of anti-skate mechanism, that the weight is there, and is place in a large Zop-Lock bag for shipping.

You can get replacements weight, but to do that, you have to know the weight of the existing part. I think the weight on mine is about 1.3 grams. But most of the standard replacement weights default to about 5 grams.

Still, as I said, the Pioneer Turntables are still highly regarded and highly sought after. The motor, platter spindle, and the mechanisms do need to be oiled periodically.

AHHH...cancel that. I didn't recognize the Pioneer model number. The PL-990 is not a vintage turntable, but the current model available, and available at a dirt cheap price.

Photos and prices -

Pioneer PL-990 fully automatic turntable PL990

Pioneer PL-990 Turntable - Black: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics & Photo

This is a pretty marginal turntable, though I'm sure it will work. But this is not the turntable for someone interested in serious vinyl listening.

I think I would personally be more inclined to consider one of the ION turntables, or perhaps the Denon DP200USB or the Project Essential.

Domestic Turntables at Superfi Online - http://www.superfi.co.uk/index.cfm/page/category.cfm/Category/104

However, thought more money, it is hard to pass up the award winning quality of the Project Debut III (£220 typcial; (lowest price £171)). That is a turntable you can depend on.

Steve/bluewizard

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
:) Save your money and go for an Expression MK1, you should be able to pick one up for about a £100.
Better arm, (carbon fibre) takes a wider range of cartridges, platter is more solid and you can upgrade when funds are available with a Speed Box, acrylic platter and a decent mat.
Wipes the floor with the budget Pro-Jects. :smashin:

I reckon I'll probably end up going for one of the project models. It's just that I saw the pioneer with it's good reviews, and I liked the fact that it is automatic. i.e- lifts the arm when the record finishes.
However, i also recognise that this is more a luxury, and that the sound quality is more important, and from what i can gather, the project's are hard to beat. (for the price)

:) Save your money and go for an Expression MK1, you should be able to pick one up for about a £100.

Finding one is a problem though. A quick search on a certain auction site has two listings, one starting at £160 and the other at £175.

Other things to consider:

1. What condition is the used cartridge/stylus in?
2. Does it need a new belt?
3. Is everything included (e.g. anti-skate weight etc)?

For someone starting out with vinyl and on a budget these are all concerns and could add cost. Plus a new Essential or even Genie/Debut includes a 2 year warranty.

Are there any good quality turntables, which also have the added features, like the auto- arm etc? Or are these features more commonly associated with poorer quality turntables?

So I have been looking for a turntable. Now, I notice that the better quality 'tables tend to be manual. I would like a turntable with some of the 'comfort' settings. That would be auto arm return, change speeds with a button.

Are there turntables out there with these features which are good quality, or do these features indicate a poorer quality machine.

I have noticed the denon dp-300f, which has these features, and seems to have favourable reviews. Has anyone any experience with this device?

If it is good quality, that'd be great, as it has a build-in pre-amp.(meaning i will look for an amp with no phono in, and should be able to get a better one for the same money)

Anyway, if you've used it/ experienced it, you advice is welcome. If it's not great, any advice on other turntables is welcome. my budget is £200

Cheers!

The Denon DP-300F is indeed a nice turntable with auto-start/auto-stop/auto-return features, unfortunately, while it is available in the EU and in the USA, it is not available in the UK.

Compare the turntables from the Denon USA site -

Denon USA | Turntables

...or Germany -

Denon-DE - Turntables

...to the selection of turntable on the UK site -

DENON UK | Home Audio Components

Quite a difference.

I'm not sure why a UK company is not selling their full range of turntables in the UK.

There are some Thorens turntables that have some degree of auto-feature. For some, I think it may be only auto-stop at the end. The model TD 160 seems popular, but costs a king's ransom.

I'm also interested in this, but I've not really been able to track down a satisfactory list of Auto Turntables.

Perhaps others will have some better ideas.

Steve/bluewizard

Last edited:
Look out for a s/h Dual CS505-4. That has an auto lift and speed "switch".

Sounds pretty good too.

I've been looking and reading for a turntable for a while now for my self. people in the no recommend the technics sl1200 mk2,has it can be highly upgraded and well made seen a few on flee bay,but not took the plunge yet .theres quite a bit in hi-fi world july issue about turntables.

I could have sworn I saw the denon turntable somewhere with a price in pounds! But yea, that's a bit odd that they don't sell it in the uk!

I'll look up those other ones later, thanks

Well. Had a wee gander through the turntables there. Think the only Thorens one I could afford is the TD 158. Anyone had any experience with any Thoren's turntables, especially the 158?

Just realised the Denon turntable i thought i saw a price for in pounds was actually the 200 USB!

Consider this, if the electrical voltage and the type of plugs are the same in Germany as in the UK, you could order the DP-300F from Germany. There might be some shipping charges, but they should be reasonable.

On Thorens, I might consider one, but they don't appeal to me from a style perspective. Still, Thorens have a long history of making quality turntables, and would expect no less from the 158.

The Technics 1200's are a very nice turntable for both DJ and HiFi. They typically have S-shaped tone arms, pure manual, and direct drive motors. Very rugged, though not cheap.

Just one thing, if you get used, you are probably going to have to replace the cartridge right away, ESPECIALLY if this has been used as a DJ turntable. The Stylus and cartridges for DJ use are very different than HiFi use. DJ typcially use Conical needles, where as for HiFi, you want some variation of an elliptical. Also, DJ cartridges are terribly abuse, so the needle will probably be shot.

To be totally biased, the Denon DP-300F is about the only turntable on the market today that appeals to me. But, very hard to understand why it was withdrawn from the UK market?

Just a few random thoughts.

Steve/bluewizard

I'm pretty sure the voltage in Germany is the same. not sure about the plugs, but i'm sure i have an adaptor of some description that'd do the job. The us ones would be no use tho-their voltage is 120, or thereabouts.

I'll maybe send Denon a wee enquiry. Doubt it'll do any good, but what harm can it do?

Hello, the voltage in Germany is the same as in the UK. Although the plug is different you can just chop it off and fit a UK 13 amp plug instead.

Steve

steveparaodx is quite right.

I got very desperate to get hold of a Wii a few years ago when they were all sold out in the UK and managed to navigate my way through the German Amazon site (which was stocked full of Wiis!) - it came with a funny plug and you can either use an adaptor or re-wire.

Hi, I just recently got into vinyl and much like you, decided that the fully automatic PL 990 sounded like it should be enough for me...

I managed to buy one from Amazon @ £ 100. Three weeks later, I'm ready to part with it for £ 50.

It's not that bad, it's functional.... it's just that now I've got my heart set on a Rega P3-24....

the reason why is simple.... I'm not an audiphile, but I love my music... and I've noticed that certain records sound clipped and flat on this TT. These are records which I've heard previously on CD, some even on cassette- and I know they are not meant to sound like that. That said, some records sound really good...

A question to other users- as a newbie- I have no idea about the Rega P3-24, but it seems to be a favourite.... will I really be able to tell the difference with the PL 990?

I run it through a Technics S EH 770.

I've noticed another automatic turntable- sony ps-lx300usb

Any experience with using it out there?

the reason why is simple.... I'm not an audiphile, but I love my music... and I've noticed that certain records sound clipped and flat on this TT. These are records which I've heard previously on CD, some even on cassette- and I know they are not meant to sound like that. That said, some records sound really good...

A question to other users- as a newbie- I have no idea about the Rega P3-24, but it seems to be a favourite.... will I really be able to tell the difference with the PL 990?

I run it through a Technics S EH 770.

The better the deck you get, the more critical its positioning. The Rega has no suspension so needs to be positioned well-away from the speakers, on an appropriate support. If you have solid walls then a wall shelf is best otherwise you need some sort of equipment rack. Talk to a Rega dealer, of ask Rega itself for specific advice. Do avoid adding squishy sorbothane type anti-vibration supports in an effort to remove vibration effects.

I have happened upon another automatic turntable. a Marantz TT-42.

It's cheaper than the denon, but the reviews i have seen are decidedly mixed.

any experience of using it out there in forum-land?

thanks, earl

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom