1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Turntable Advice Please!

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by digitaldave, May 16, 2005.

1. digitaldave

digitaldave

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    I'm thinking about getting a turntable to add to my sound system, and was originally looking at the Pro-Ject Debut III and possibly the Goldring GR1.2. However, it seems I might have more money available (up to about £200 I think), so that opens up more options, such as the Pro-Ject 1 and 1.2 Expression. So, what are the differences between the Pro-Ject models? Do they all have captive phono cables? Is the carbon arm of the 1.2 Expression worth the extra?

So should I just go with the entry level Pro-Ject or Goldring, or would it be worth spending the extra for the higher model?

2. SKA.face

SKA.face

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Personally I would go for the Rega P2.Enjoy it as it is,then later add things to it to make it better.It's a simple fit and forget deck that is very reliable.

3. digitaldave

digitaldave

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Morning bump for more input :).

4. Beobloke

Beobloke

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +65
    Yes, the dearer Pro-jects are worth the extra, and the carbon fibre arm versions can take better cartridges which will allow for more future upgrades.

The Rega is, of course, another option worth considering, but personally I'd go for a Pro-ject.

5. CJROSS

CJROSS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +343
    Main differences are that you can generally pick up Projects a lot cheaper than their respective Rega counterparts, for example you can easily land a Project RPM4 for £200 ex-dem. I quite like Project decks and always give them the push, Many love Regas. But with £200 in my pocket I would be looking for a RPM4.

6. cwilson

cwilson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +48
    i would look for a second hand rega p2 or 3. the 2 with glass plater is
    probably the best bet.