Turning this PC into a NAS??

Sparky83

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I have this PC (see below) and want to know what i can do to turn it into a NAS system due to the size of the case it'll be perfect for lots of HHD's.

Antec 1200 Twelve Hundred Full Tower Case - No PSU

Antec TruePower New 750W Blue LED Fan Modular PSU - 80plus Bronze and SLI Certified 3x SATA

ASUS P6T SE iX58 Socket 1366 8 Channel Audio ATX Motherboard

LG GGW-H20L Super Multi Blu-Ray Writer & HD-ROM Reader inc Lightscribe Support - SATA Retail kit

2x 1TB Samsung HD103UJ Spinpoint F1, SATA 3Gb/s, 7200rpm, 32MB Cache, 8.9 ms, NCQ

6GB (3x2GB) CorsairXMS3, DDR3 PC3-10666 (1333) 240 Pin, Non-ECC Unbuffered, CAS 9-9-9-24

Akasa Nero AK-967 Intel LGA 1366 (S775/1366/939/940/AM2/AM2+) , Heat Pipe cooler, 120mm PWM fan,

Intel i7 920, D0 SLBEJ S1366, Bloomfield, 2.66 GHz, QPI 4.8GT/s, 8MB Cache, 20x Ratio, 130W, Retail

Any thoughts??

If it's just as file server, that's way overpowered, if you're not bothered about power usage it's fine. If you're doing more demanding stuff go for it, for just file serving it's overkill IMO.

Anyway you just need an OS on it, loads to chose from, freenas, unraid, WHS 1, WHS 2011 (Which I use), ubuntu server. etc.

I dont really want it to be too juicy on the power it uses really, especially as it'll be on all the time. I want it for storing all my movies etc on so i can watch from my tv via a media server like a popcorn hour.

Maybe you are better off selling the parts and buying a Synology or QNap NAS instead - they will be MUCH more power efficient then a 750w PSU!!! More like less then 50w!

The best way to see how much power it draws is to test it. I have a amd quad core 3.0Ghz and 700w psu. When its idle, its usage is about 75 watts. Thats with a amd 5770hd graphics card and 4 hard drives too! When you ramp up the cpu and graphics, it gets quite a bit higher, but its fine as its my xbmc media server, file server (server 2008 r2) and my handbrake/expression encoder server.

As i say, try it and see, you may be surprised.

That's tons over powered mate. I've got a 400w PSU, P5QL-CM mobo, with a E8500. And it does the job just fine.

That's tons over powered mate.
+1
My media server is a low powered Intel Atom and that can stream to 2 media players/PC's at a time without issue. So as already advised I would suggest selling the parts (keep the case perhaps) and putting something a lot cheaper in place for your media. Perhaps worth having a scan through Smurf's thread on his monster media server http://www.avforums.com/forums/networking-nas/1347547-smurfs-monster-40tb-unraid-nas-build.html or Tim's slightly smaller server http://www.avforums.com/forums/networking-nas/1429720-tims-7-24tb-tiddler-unraid-nas.html

Mark.

I use the HP Proliant Microserver like Tim, cost £120 and is great for what I need. I've sucessfully streamed to two PC's an Xbox and an iPod at the same time with no problems (one 1080p mkv, the rest SD AVI's.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom