Turning sub on and off

Stereo Steve

Novice Member
I ahve just got an MJ Ref 100 and very nice it is too. I did assume that all subs had some kind of auto on/off curcuitry but obviously not.

I clearly don't want to have to switch it on every time I want to put a CD on and then have to remember to turn it off again. What I want is to be able to switch it on and off with my processor.

Is there any device that can do this using a 12v trigger? Like a mains block with triggered sockets?

How do others get around this or do you just leave it on 24/7?

Ian J

Banned
Mine is switched on when I first plug it in and is only ever switched off when I sell it.

Auto on / off switches seem to be an American idea that doesn't work too well as most subs with this device fitted are a fraction slow in switching on

Stereo Steve

Novice Member
MJ recommend on their website that it is not left on, asking 'would you leave your cooker on all the time?'. Well no, but I would leave my fridge, freezer, microwave, boiler, router, tv booster, pc etc. etc. on all the time.

So what is my sub? A cooker or a fridge?

Anyone know how much electricity it uses when not in use?

Miniholic

There was an advert in HCC (I think) a few months ago for a trailing socket where whenever the unit plugged into one of the sockets was powered up, the other sockets were powered, but were turned off when the master was turned off.

I don't know about the mains quality etc (if that bothers you) but you could plug your amp into the master socket, and then the sub would only be powered up when the amp is on.

(Could have been lectropacks or keene selling them)

Hope this helps.

Ian

Nimby

Distinguished Member
Originally posted by Miniholic
There was an advert in HCC (I think) a few months ago for a trailing socket where whenever the unit plugged into one of the sockets was powered up, the other sockets were powered, but were turned off when the master was turned off.

I don't know about the mains quality etc (if that bothers you) but you could plug your amp into the master socket, and then the sub would only be powered up when the amp is on.

(Could have been lectropacks or keene selling them)

Hope this helps.

Ian
Don't plug your sub mains input into the back of your amp or use any switchable sockets. It might rob your sub of dynamics on heavy peaks. SVS in particular advise against it. I made a 6 metre long mains cable with 2 x 1.5mm^2 rubber sheathed flex to ensure sufficient current reaches the sub. I should have used heavier if I had been able to buy it easily at the time. 2 x 2.5mm^2 would have been better for this task.

Nimby

steve1056

Novice Member
I have owned a MJA Ref 150 for about 6 months now and haven't switched it off since the day I connected it up. Had no problems so far.

davehk

You could use X10 modules - they have a contact closure/12V trigger module that will send on/off commands to an appliance module that you plug the sub into.

See http://www.letsautomate.com/10258.cfm?