Turning Rel strata 2 on its side help

RobTi

Hi when i moved into my current house (upstairs flat) i disconnected my sub and put it away, now looking to set it up again and i am looking for help with keeping the neighbours happy.

Do i keep it as is and put slab or something under it still firing down or could i turn it on its side, or what?

Don't mind removing the feet and refitting if on its side is recommended

Thanks

Robert

Last edited:

IronGiant

I'd leave it down firing and put it on a slab.

RobTi

Thank you for the reply, now what size of slab would i need as in area beyond the sub, if the sub is 450cm square what would you recommend size wise also would it make any difference going for 2 slabs or would 1 do?

Thanks

Robert

missinglink

Novice Member
I also live in an upstairs flat and own a REL Strata 2. Stone slabs do not work very well (yes I tried them).

I use a foam/mdf purpose made platform. (I actually have one stacked on another). Mine are made by Auralex - a subdude perched on a gramma which was intended for my guitar amp.

Other similar products exist - see 'Studiospares' or 'HTFR' for isolation/acoustic products as a start, or make your own.

The bass improved in terms of definition and seemed to go lower.

Most important is a considerable decrease in bass transmission through the floor - moving to another room showed that the bass was much less detectable.

My neighbours say I'm quiet! I can't actually believe that but I am considerate.

I would avoid lying it sideways on.

IronGiant

Thank you for the reply, now what size of slab would i need as in area beyond the sub, if the sub is 450cm square what would you recommend size wise also would it make any difference going for 2 slabs or would 1 do?

Thanks

Robert
just one under the cone, a sub interacts with the room it's in mostly. Ideally you'd isolate it from your neighbours completely, but you can't.