turning projector on and off safely?

K

kingoli2003

Hi, ive just bought a sanyo z3 projector and after i shut it down via the remote i usually switch it off at the wall. Ive noticed that when i turn it on again it seems like a surge of power goes through it and the bulb flashes for a second before starting. Is this normal?

BigNorm9

Not sure about the Sanyo specifically. Do you have it plugged straight into the wall or through a surge protector?

I have an Optoma HD-70, but it is plugged into a UPS/surge protector in the roof space. I leave mine on standby at all times.

Before you try to switch it on again (possibly risking reducing your lamp life), it may be worth investing in a surge protector available at Currys and the like. See http://www.currys.co.uk/martprd/sto...iterion=surge protector&AtimeStamp=3366688118

A better, more expensive option is to have a battery-back-up unit as well. This will allow your pj's fan to run after a power outage, allowing it to cool the lamp properly and so not reduce it's life.

I bought this hulking great thing http://www.ebuyer.com/UK/product/112148 but it's worth it for the peace of mind.

Avi

Distinguished Member
Hi, ive just bought a sanyo z3 projector and after i shut it down via the remote i usually switch it off at the wall. Ive noticed that when i turn it on again it seems like a surge of power goes through it and the bulb flashes for a second before starting. Is this normal?

It's usual for the PJ cooling system to continue operating for a few minutes after you switch it off. This is to stop thermal fatigue of the lamp, panels etr due to the build up of heat from the lamp even after it's powered off. If you switch it off straight away at the mains the cooling system stops. This can result in reduced lamp life/performance and possible heat damage to the PJ.

The above is a generalisation.

AVI

BigNorm9

AVI,

is kingoli2003's issue not more about the possible surge when switching it back on at the wall rather than when powering down?(I thought he meant he switched it off after the fan had stopped.):confused:

I suggested a surge protector in case that is what is happening when he switches it on at the wall.

Avi

Distinguished Member
AVI,

is kingoli2003's issue not more about the possible surge when switching it back on at the wall rather than when powering down?(I thought he meant he switched it off after the fan had stopped.):confused:

I suggested a surge protector in case that is what is happening when he switches it on at the wall.

Not sure. Surge/UPS protection is always a good idea but if the PJ does this every time I doubt it's a power spike. It maybe some restart routine the PJ goes through after is it has been disconnect from the mains. Or it may simply be a fault. :)

AVI

AV Nik

Sounds normal.
All these lamps are 'ignited' so that's the 'surge of power'. There's a small ARC to ignite the gas's which is probably the 'flash'.
Hope this helps.

pragmatic

Distinguished Member
My new projector, sounds like it 'strikes up' twice everytime before starting, thought this was a little wiered at first compared to my old one but it works fine.

With my old infocus X1 it could be cooled either by the fan or just switching it off at the wall, with the latter being recomended as long as the lamp was given enough time to cool as it would be with the fan on.

As that was a DLP and maybe other design decision nothing would get overheated by just switching it off, other projectors and particualrly lcd's have components (e.g. LCD panels) that may not like the heat given off by the lamp when no fan is running. With my new projector I always switch it off via the remote/menu, let it cool and then switch off at wall and unplug as its not surge protected(yet).

I think projectors are generaly more robust than people might think, but because the bulbs cost so much we generaly like to treat them as kindly as possible.

kalee12

Standard Member
This is quite normal and happens on my older Z1 too, both when switched on at the wall as you describe or by using the on /off rocker switch on the projector itself. The brief glow from the lamp is produced from the gas within the lamp, as the potential across the lamp is applied ready for striking.

Steve

The latest video from AVForums

Bowers PI7 wireless in-ear headphones review coming soon to AVForums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom