1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

turning off video to blank screen??

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by Neil Harrington, Jun 6, 2005.

1. Neil Harrington

Neil Harrington

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Here's an interesting question ...
    My father in law wants to listen to music from his sky box using the tV without having to endure the blue sky menu on the TV. Does anyone know of a 28" widescreen that has a capability to blank the video or is it a case of breaking the video feed through the scarts ?? I can't believe someone hasnt thought of this before !??
    thanks all

Neil :confused:

2. Astaroth

Astaroth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    I dont know of a TV that can do this but does he not have a hifi or such close to his TV? Sky boxes have analogue outputs so he could connect these up to the hifi - use the TV to select the channel and then turn off the TV and listen to the sound purely from the hifi.

It would almost certainly sound better from any 1/4 decent hifi than TV speakers

3. moopig

moopig
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I doubt you will find a TV that will do what you want.

However, if the TV has a SCART socket that you're not using you could modify a SCART cable by cutting the video signal conductor. Most TVs will then show a black screen without muting the audio. It's an easy thing to do, but if you're not confident doing it yourself just about any TV repair shop should be able to do it for you for a very small charge.

Two other (easier) options are to switch the TV to Teletext and find a page without much on it, or to just turn your brightness and contrast down to minimum so you can't see anything on the screen.

4. JohnW14

JohnW14

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    For what it's worth, my mother's elderly Finlux TV (circa 1992) has a button on it labelled AUX where it will do precisely what you are asking - i.e. pass sound through but turn the screen off. Probably not much help but why not have a look at the latest Finlux's to see if they still have this feature.