Turning off internal speakers

LicensingMan

Standard Member
i have a TH 50px70 ba And want to turn off the speakers as I am running a Sonos playbar out of a sky box
The tv is only connected to the sky box
The manual says that this can be done via the Viera Link but it just says feature not available. I have gone into settings and tried it with both the Viera link on and off and still no joy
Any ideas gratefully received

LicensingMan

Standard Member
The tv Does not have the needed optical output so it has to be the sky box that I take the source from Even if I could tske it out of the tv I still need to switch of the internal speaker
Thanks for responding

noiseboy72

Distinguished Member
Are you sure it does not have an optical output? I thought there was one right up at the top of the rear connection panel. (But it's a while since I saw one!!)

JayCee

Distinguished Member
Hi sorry I can not find any way to store a volume setting in the it settings

Try reducing the volume to zero and while the on-screen graphic is present press the centre OK button.
Switch the set off, switch it back on and hopefully the volume will still be set at minimum.

Warpaint

You will need to put the TV into “hotel mode” and then you can set the maximum volume to 0. The digital out will still work an the Playbar will still operate from the Panasonic remote if you have already set that up.

Hotel mode setting

On the TV: press and hold down the -/V button ( depending on the TV you may have to use the F button to get to the volume control)

At the same time (holding this button down) press the AV button on the Remote control 3 times while pointing it at the TV
Hotel Mode Menu should then appear on screen

Scroll down to the Maximum Volume option and set it to 0

LicensingMan

Standard Member
A big Thank you to all
I have been able able to find a work round set it to zero and block of most of the tv receiver with the play bar. But now have a very strange problem it all works including the volume as long as the sky box is off as soon as it is on the remote will not work the playbar but everything else is good and works fine including the tv volume
Switch the sky box off and the volume control works again

LicensingMan

Standard Member
Hi have turned of the HDMI control but no joy Even with the optical cable removed they will not work but the second the sky box is switched of they work
Pulling my hair out
But thank you for the ideas

JayCee

Distinguished Member
Hi have turned of the HDMI control but no joy Even with the optical cable removed they will not work but the second the sky box is switched of they work
Pulling my hair out
But thank you for the ideas

I'm a bit confused.
You've said “they will not work but the second the Sky box is switched off they work”
What is “they” as your first post states “the tv is only connected to the Sky box”

LicensingMan

Standard Member
Sorry it the Panasonic remote and a couple of sky remotes programmed for the posnasonic tv that will also operate the volume on the Sonos playbar that is connected to the sky box for tbe tv sound The remotes turn the volume up and down without a problem until the skybox is switched on and then they can’t operate the playbar but still work the tv
Hope this makes better sense

JayCee

Distinguished Member
I've had a think about this.
You're never going to be able to control the Playbar volume using the TV's remote with the way the Sky Q is connected to the playbar.
You'll need to use the playbar's own remote...or get a new TV.

Last edited:

LicensingMan

Standard Member
I was starting to think that but I just do not understand how that having tuned the playbar to respond to the Panasonic remote (ignore the sky ones that are set to operate the Panasonic) and it works with no problems and then even with the optical cable disconnect the second I switch the shy box on the playbar volume will not work ( though it does respond to 1 in 30 pushes of the remote)

Going to try a toshiba remote tonight

Thanks again for all your help
(Have been thinking about a 55 or 65 Panasonic OLED But still got a great picture on the plasma)

JayCee

Distinguished Member
I was starting to think that but I just do not understand how that having tuned the playbar to respond to the Panasonic remote (ignore the sky ones that are set to operate the Panasonic) and it works with no problems

The Playbar is not “tuned” to the Panasonic TV remote, it simply acts as a universal remote and learns from the TV remote so it's no different from programming a Sky remote to operate the TV.
You wouldn't have a problem if the Playbar had an HDMI input and the TV had HDMI ARC or an optical out.

LicensingMan

Standard Member
Dear all
Problem not solved but I know what it is The plasma screen is interfering with the remote receiver on the playbar If the picture is dark and dull the receiver accepts the signal the brighter the picture the less it works so 80% of the time it does not work also night time seems worse
No real solution but will try and experiment moving the playbar and of o want thx tv through it will use the Sonos app

Thanks for all the assistance and ideas

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom