1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Turning Off Dead Pixels

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by General Skanky, Jan 22, 2002.

1. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    I may be the last to know as it may already be common knowledge, but....
    I was told a few days ago from a very reliable source that dead pixels within Sony LCD panels, can be turned off within their software. The impression I was given was that it's not something sony want to be openly known.

Is this right or am I just daft?

The person who told me would have no reason to tell me a mistruth, and it would be the answer to LCD pixel problems (I assume)!

What say you? LCD technology is not perfect, so this has got to be the best 'solution' to date that I've heard of anyway.

2. Roland @ B4

Roland @ B4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Yes I've seen that switch inside that says faulty pixels on or off but couldn't get it to work

Unless there has been a huge conspiracy and every LCD manufacter has been adding bright spots for the hell of it I think your friend is mistaken.

The problem is that an LCD pannel in it's natural state lets all the light through and wehn you want black (ahem, alright black) then you apply a signal to the diode to say stop the light. unfortuneatly sometimes the little wires and/or Diodes in the pannel don't connect and you get a fully open one ie a bright spot. I can't see how software would address it.

There was a company researching with a laser techneque to burn the pixel dark but it never really caught on.

3. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    Well, that seems quite definative.
    I do wonder though, as runs a workshop and he was certain about it. Could he have been on about RPTV LCD? Would it make a difference though?
    I don't know what to think.
    Never mind, I'll get my coat.:)

4. RichardA

RichardA

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm with Roland on this, I don't believe it's possible to change the state of a dead pixel.

The only thing I can come up with is dead pixels on CCD rather LCD. CCDs are the sensors in cameras and it is not unusual to have a circuit that fills in dead pixels with average vaules to hide the error - it's common on industrial, professional and broadcast cameras, it's not common on domestic stuff - maybe that's what he heard?

5. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    Hmmmm......... the reason I brought it up is because the company he works for (my old one) rent, sell TV's, vcr's etc. We were chatting about an old Seleco CRT he had under a bench he was going to refurbish and LCD came into the conversation. I was a bit surpirsed when he said it, but he was certain.

However, I do take your word for it that the state of pixels can't be changed via software. It just has me thinking.
    If I ever find out any more I'll obviously let you know. Maybe clarifyit all and prove I'm a muppet.:)

6. Roland @ B4

Roland @ B4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    I once had to do a demo to a very big corporate customer with a big LCD projector (8,000 lumen) on a 20ft wide screen.
    It had a bright green pixel in the cener of the screen and was so obvious on video.

So i'm afraid I stuck a dead bluebottle I found onto the screen with double sided tape just where the pixel was.

Customer bought the projector btw !!

P.S. You need a fly with a gain of 0 or it doesn't work

7. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    :D