Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Turning off 'Auto screen fit'

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by treefrog, Feb 7, 2005.

1. treefrog

treefrog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Hi

I have a Philips TV (PW9528) which has this ghastly feature(auto screen fit) and wondered if anybody knows of a way of disabling it without turning off 'Auto format'.

Thanks
    Mark

:lease:

2. Tight Git

Tight Git

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +597
    Hello Treefrog,

I'm not familiar with your particular model, but it sounds as if "Auto Format" and "Auto Screen-fit" are the same thing.

That is, whatever the aspect ratio (Format), the system will try to fill the screen so you don't see black bars.

Unless someone knows different...

3. treefrog

treefrog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Hi

My understanding is that 'Auto Format' checks the voltage of pin 8 on the scart input to ascertain the format of the channel being broadcast whereas 'Auto screen fit' analyses the content of the picture itself. I have no problem with black lines at top and bottom of the screen and much prefer it to having the TV zoom the picture which distorts and degrades the quality. Not that I am a great lover of commercials, this is when it is most noticeable. Since about half of commercials are made in widescreen, when watching them on a channel that broadcasts in 4:3 the TV is zooming in and out and in and out. The lines don't have to black, either. It will zoom in whenever it detects areas where there is no movement whatever colour they are so if a program intentionally had blank areas either at the top or bottom the TV would try and get rid of them. I'm sure some people will welcome this feature however I would like to get rid of it.

Mark

4. Wackojacko32

Wackojacko32
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have a 32PW9509 which has the same feature. As far as I am aware it is Philips alternative to Auto Format switching which selects the best fit for the source instead of selecting the appropriate screen resolution 4:3 V 16:9 for the transmission. Unfortunately there appears to be no way of disabling it, apart from manually selecting the correct format size yourself, which defeats the whole point.

I must admit I do tend to leave it switched on, which is a bit of a pain when the adverts are on as it zooms each one differently, but settles down during the main programs usually. Its a bit strange when watching anamorphic widescreen DVD's as it strecthes the picture vertically so I tend to just use Widescreen for this.

Have you tried selecting a audio channel on Sky/cable it zooms the banner at the bottom to fill the whole screen, wierd :)

Just another quirk of the Philips.

Wackojacko32

5. nig28

nig28

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi
    I know you can switch this off on most Sony TV's, not sure about Philips.
    Nigel

6. treefrog

treefrog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Oh well, you live and learn.
    I've always been a Sony person and it was only the fact that the Philips had a smaller frame that made me get it. I know what you mean Jacko, when you say about the audio channels. It was this that brought to my attention exactly how stupid this feature is. It doesn't suprise me that you can turn this off on a Sony. I think thats the difference between the 2. Sony allow you to tailor your TV to your own personal preferences while Philips think that they've got it so right you won't need to change it.

Thanks everyone
    Mark