• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Turning Off 3G On iPhone 4S

DPinBucks

Distinguished Member
Is there a way of turning off the phone functions on an iPhone whilst still keeping all the other apps and WiFi going?

What I'm thinking off are those places where cellphone activity isn't allowed, but which have a WiFi service. I'm thinking of a hospital or health centre, mainly, but there might be other places.

I'd assumed I could just switch the Carrier off in Settings, like you can with WiFi, but there's no option there. I've not tried taking the SIM out, and don't intend to. That would be too much hassle even if it worked.

It's not a huge deal, but I'm a bit surprised I can't find a way of doing it.

Jason56d

Prominent Member
DPinBucks said:
Is there a way of turning off the phone functions on an iPhone whilst still keeping all the other apps and WiFi going?

What I'm thinking off are those places where cellphone activity isn't allowed, but which have a WiFi service. I'm thinking of a hospital or health centre, mainly, but there might be other places.

I'd assumed I could just switch the Carrier off in Settings, like you can with WiFi, but there's no option there. I've not tried taking the SIM out, and don't intend to. That would be too much hassle even if it worked.

It's not a huge deal, but I'm a bit surprised I can't find a way of doing it.

Not sure of an official way, but if you are jail broken, then you can turn off 3G in SBSettings and wifi still works.

sakuragi

Novice Member
If you want to turn off all phone functionality (making/receiving calls and texts etc) you can put phone into Airplane mode, then turn WiFi on...

I've done this abroad when using Skype/FaceTime to avoid roaming charges!

DPinBucks

Distinguished Member
settings>general>network>enable 3g - turn to 'off'

Think that does it

If you want to turn off all phone functionality (making/receiving calls and texts etc) you can put phone into Airplane mode, then turn WiFi on...

I've done this abroad when using Skype/FaceTime to avoid roaming charges!
Thanks to both.

Charlie: there doesn't seem to be an 'enable 3g' option on my phone. :(

sakuragi: Brilliant, thanks. :thumbsup: That's exactly what I wanted. I'd forgotten being abroad as another time you might need it. I could have used it in New York a few weeks ago. I've played with Airplane Mode, but would never have thought of switching WiFi back on.

=== EDIT ===
It's fully documented in the manual of course, but RTFM is for wimps.

Last edited:

poppitypop

Established Member
settings>general>network>enable 3g - turn to 'off'

Think that does it

That is almost right.

It is settings - general - network - toggle mobile data off.

Must be known though that this toggle only recently came back with iOS5 so a person would not see it if using iOS4

bransoj

Prominent Member
turning off 3g will also save your battery life tremendously
Does it make that much of a massive difference in reality?

Plus whats the point in having these smartphones and then turning off the stuff that you need to make them work properly? I've got most things turned on and comfortably get through a full day before just sticking it in my charging dock when i go to bed.

windfall

Prominent Member
I couldn't find an option in ios5 -it used to be there in 4!
The only thing you can do is turn of data, which is a bit stupid...

JemTheWire

Established Member
Turning off 3G does just that, but it still leaves 2G enabled. Hence you can still make and receive calls plus surf the Web with 3G turned off. All be it at 2G speeds. I.E dog slooow. The option to turn 3G off on an iPhone 4s was only introduced with iOS v5.1 (IIRC).

Last edited:

JemTheWire

Established Member
Does it make that much of a massive difference in reality? ....

I have found it does, yes. However, where I live 3G has quite poor strength so the iPhone has to transmit at a higher power thus reducing battery life. I couldn't wait for the 3G toggle to return in iOS 5.1 (IIRC), but I have found I will put up with reduced battery life as surfing speed are just so sloooow on 2G!

The latest video from AVForums

Spielberg, Shyamalan, Aronofsky, Chazelle, Eddie Murphy and Mel Gibson - all the latest movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom