Turning log cabin into a home cinema

Braymath

Standard Member
I have ordered a log cabin 5.0 x 3.5 (70mm thick walls)

And want to turn it into a home cinema room Any help or advice would be appreciated

But i want to sound proof the room and was wondering the best way to do it,and am looking for any advice on this.

My plan was to stud out the interior with pressure treated timber then use an acoustic rockwool 50mm thick
Then put soundshield board on top then skim

Is that an option for a log cabin
Any advice would be helpful as i dont want to get it wrong from the start

Last edited:

Braymath

Standard Member
Will post all pics and details as i go

Should be starting in a couple of weeks

just waiting for cabin to be delivered

Richard Fenn

Ohhh subscribing to this thread. Should be a goody!

Can't help with your questions I'm afraid but looking forward to the progress. That's a good size cabin for a home cinema :)

cjwood555

We did a log cabin a while ago. They're a lot more soundproof than you'd think so your measures should be sufficient.

N.B you will end up with a very reverberant room, so I'd suggest some treatment panels in a mixture of absorptive and diffusive varieties.

Also, do not rely on wifi from the house - it will NOT work reliably. Put some ducting in and run in an ethernet cable.

HTH
Chris

Braymath

Standard Member
This is for freemo99 Gateshead Log Cabin 5.0m x 3.5m

i have be spoked it a little

How did you get on with your cabin regarding winter temps
dont want all my kit getting damp etc

last message for cjwood

We did a log cabin a while ago. They're a lot more soundproof than you'd think so your measures should be sufficient.

N.B you will end up with a very reverberant room, so I'd suggest some treatment panels in a mixture of absorptive and diffusive varieties.

Also, do not rely on wifi from the house - it will NOT work reliably. Put some ducting in and run in an ethernet cable.

HTH
Chris
What treatments would you recommened
As still in the early stages and can change this at the moment

i have attatched plans for cabin

Attachments

cjwood555

It was an install for a customer so not really able to comment on winter temps - he studded and boarded but did not insulate, and had a number of small electric heaters. For the kit to be suffering you'd also be getting damp issues like mold around windows etc, so I wouldn't worry too much.

Acoustics wise, which wall are you planning to fit screen/speakers to? Please don't say the one opposite the glass door / windows!

Chris

Braymath

Standard Member
Hi Chris

No not opposite the windows

Deciding whether to have screen at door end or bottom end (screen will be hopefully 100 inch)

Already got the speakers,blu ray player and amp

Monitor audio apex (X4 A10's X1 A40 and AW12 Sub)

Denon 3313

Denon 2012 Blu ray

Braymath

Standard Member
Any advice on anything would be helpful as dont want to get to a point were i wished i'd done that...:lease:

Midge01

This looks like one worth following, good luck with it.

Midge

Braymath

Standard Member
Ordered today an air con unit toshiba (Same one as used in philhfc's cinems room)

Going to make my own screen:
2440x1220 sheet of 15mm Marine ply and tempted to use the "Mighty brighty screen paint "
Any comments or suggestions on this would be taken on but it looks good

Got the Epson TW6000 quickly set it up in the living room onto a white wall and very impressed with the result even though i was using a PS3 as a Blu ray player (Only temp got the Denon 2012 once set up)

Just shows you if you take all the reviews you read as gospel i would have saved up and gone for the more expensive 9000 but im more than happy with the 6000

Once i get started every photo/detail will be broadcast on here for comments and advice....

thebigmcp

Ordered today an air con unit toshiba (Same one as used in philhfc's cinems room)

Going to make my own screen:
2440x1220 sheet of 15mm Marine ply and tempted to use the "Mighty brighty screen paint "
Any comments or suggestions on this would be taken on but it looks good

Got the Epson TW6000 quickly set it up in the living room onto a white wall and very impressed with the result even though i was using a PS3 as a Blu ray player (Only temp got the Denon 2012 once set up)

Just shows you if you take all the reviews you read as gospel i would have saved up and gone for the more expensive 9000 but im more than happy with the 6000

Once i get started every photo/detail will be broadcast on here for comments and advice....
Points of note on the Air Con Install, The cables between indoor and outdoor unit have numbered tags on them, dont follow the wire colours in the instructions or you will think you are going mad. Air will release from the indoor unit when you unscrew a cap, dont worry this is normal as the unit is shipped pressurised. Remember and make provision for the Drain Hose during your build, running this later could be a problem. Purchase duct tape to go over the pipework outside and consider how you attach the pipes to walls, I used 40mm Drain Pipe Brackets.

scimg

Novice Member
I have done something similar over the last few months except 45mm build with only floor and roof insulation.

Went for a Mitsubishi Heavy Industries A/C Inverter instead. Fixed speed is a serious no go where energy efficiency/electrical spikes and noise are issues of concern. If you're considering DIY'ing it and have no prior experience (many seem not to!) I would pay to have it installed by an f-gas certified engineer.

There is a fair bit of reverb at the moment as mentioned to the point that you can currently hear sound outside of the cabin and am not planning extra sound proofing just yet.

Braymath

Standard Member
Quick update

Cabin has been delivered and put up (Photos to be added today)

No-one mentioned to tell me that it would take three full days to treat and paint it .....

Damm if i ever have to do that again ...(Oh yes maybe next year)

Going to start studding out the interior walls tomorrow

Braymath

Standard Member
Studding walls ready for 40mm acoustic insulation with 15mm Sounshield plaster board on top

Roof will have 100mm acoustic insulation with soundshield platerboard

Attachments

Last edited:

Braymath

Standard Member
First picture of cabin showing sofa was just to try and get where i can put furniture etc
Am limited to our old cream sofa for now....

One thing i have noticed now the cabin is here is how much work goes into something like this

Take my hat off too all that have done this ..
I think it was the three full days treating the cabin with preserver and treating with cuprinol shades that totally threw a spanner in the works didnt anticipate it would take that long..

All acoustic insulation and soundboard is getting delivered on friday this week

But got to wait for the electrician to come and first fix first and also route the ethernet cables from my house to the cabin which is about 25 metres away..

Last edited:

Braymath

Standard Member
In a bit of a dilema on floor covering already
Would like a laminate floor for ease of cleaning etc but i know it will be very reverberated so shall i go for a good underlay and carpet or could i get away with acoustic underlay and laminate then put a big rug?

Any ideas would be great

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Home AV, TV, Tech News & Reviews, Plus The Best of July 2020

Latest News

McIntosh and Sonus faber unite under Fine Sounds Distribution in UK
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
JBL launches 4349 Studio Monitor
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
LG Display next generation OLEDs showcased at SID 2020
  • By Andy Bassett