Turned my AVR into a network audio player with a dedicated headphone amp.

craigehlke

Novice Member
I have been searching for a way to add a headphone amp to AVRX1600H AVR. The headphone out on the AVR doesn't sound very good. I hooked a Topping headphone amp to the zone2 pre-outs and I am very pleased with the results. It was easy and is convenient to use. All the HEOS app stuff works great.

I set the zone2 to fixed output and zone2 source to main source. I can now use the AVR as a network player to play DSD files from my DLNA server through the Topping amp to my Sennheiser hd600 headphones. It sounds as good and has the same music features as my Denon DNP-800NE with it's dedicated headphone amp with gain.

rccarguy2

Better way of doing it would be get dedicated audio streamer with digital out, then use a DAC and a headphone amplifier.

Not only using a better audio streamer (I find AVR built in audio streamer clunky) But have a higher quality DAC. Also lower power usage

craigehlke

Novice Member
Better way of doing it would be get dedicated audio streamer with digital out, then use a DAC and a headphone amplifier.

Not only using a better audio streamer (I find AVR built in audio streamer clunky) But have a higher quality DAC. Also lower power usage
Thanks. My goal was to add a better headphone amp to my existing audio video system. I have also done the PC -> USB DAC -> AMP solution but find the Denon/HEOS environment better integrated. My research on streamers is that they are just embedded dedicated Linux distros.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Best Home Cinema Sources and B&W 805 D4 Speaker Review and more...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom