Turn ts file from Humax to DVD?

Discussion in 'Digital TV & Video Players & Recorders' started by Gordon @ Convergent AV, Feb 1, 2009.

Tags:
  1. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,101
    I've done this before but my laptop died about 9 months ago and I lost all the software I used to do it. I want to archive a tv programme I took off my Humax PVR. It's an SD .ts file.

I presume I need to turn it in to an MPEG file that is compatible with a DVD burner. Anyone got any links to free software that can achieve any of this?

Cheers

Gordon

P.S. I did a search and I looked at the FAQ and couldn't find any info.

2. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,101
    OK Hold the phone... I think I remembered one of the old programmes I used. hdtv to mpeg2. I'm just going to try it conversion then see what happens.

3. denno75uk

denno75uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +574
    Gordon,

If you've been successful, what did you use to do this? I've had a Humax 9200T for ages now and never tried this as it seems to be a bit of a faff. Any links to FAQs or software would be appreciated.

Ta

4. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,101
    Well I used hdtvtompeg2 freeware to turn the .ts in to an mpeg2 file. This file is playable using
    TOTAL VIDEO PLAYER but realplayer and windows media wont play it.....was blocky on VLC player.

Anyway, I'm now at the stage where I think I need to rebuy EXPRESS BURN PLUS

The HDTVTOMPEG2 thing was done by an AVSforum member and if you google it you'll find a download link.

The Express Burn thing is a real annoyance though. I bought it 2yrs ago and have just downloaded it again. My licence key is not compatible with the latest download of the software and they want to charge me £30 for the privaledge of issueing me a new key...I think I'd rather buy a copy of NERO or something else.

Once I've sorted out the DVD authoring tool I'll let you know if it works.

5. nvingo

nvingo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +717
    If you're in a position to buy *something* you could do worse than VideoRedo TV Suite, which does the whole job from the .TS file on the PC HDD through to the finished DVD, all very user friendly.

6. gtg60

gtg60

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    I'm about to receive my new MPEG4 Terrestrial/ Sat Combo receiver with HDD PVR and I would like to do this to, what is the quality like with these programs and can I retain Dolby Digital?

7. ashtreex

ashtreex
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What a struggle. My solution:
    Humax Foxsat Freesat+ PVR

Record programmes on Humax; copy to 8gb Sandisk thumb drive; copy to PC; convert using ConvertX which converts right through to burn DVD. Only the .ts file is needed (ts = title stream apparently)

I haven't been able to make a Mac conversion/burn programme work - too technical for me.

I've also succeeded in connecting a Panasonic DVD and HDD read/writer to the Foxsat and (we'll see - as I write) recording a programme direct to DVD on it. :clap:

Maybe things will get simpler in time?

8. gtg60

gtg60

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    I believe .ts is actually Transport Stream.

I would also agree with nvingo in that VideoRedo TV Suite is a superb piece of software and well worth the money.

9. nosliere

nosliere
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a Humax Foxsat 320gb (3 months old and already 99% full) Last week I got a Hitachi 1 tb USB external drive, but I couldn't get them to communicate. Humax only accepts FAT 16/32 format, but Hitachi(part of a batch imported from USA) was in NTSC. Windows and SwissKnife both failed to convert (after 2 hours!) but I got a freebie via Tom Thornhill (Ridgecrop Consultants) which did it in 20 seconds. Couldn't get files to copy even then (the Humax manual is useless) but managed this yesterday with advice from Graham Thompson via private email on AVForums.

New problem is: all copied films seem to consist of 3 files with .TS .HMT and .NTS extensions. My PC won't open them, but I copied a test film "Cicago" to DVD .TS (3.2 gb) hmt (6 kb) and nts (5 mb). Now the DVD player rejects the disk as well.
    This thread seems to be the answer. Basically I have 50 or so classic films which I want to burn to DVD, so I'm looking for software which will convert TS to something which will play back on the Sharp DV SL-10 DVD player. The hp Pavilion will only burn +R but I have an EZ-Dub which can burn any format.

This isn't that urgent. My main problem was a full HDD which prevented further recordings and recording in real time to VCR was a pain as I can only record what is being displayed on the TV. At least the Hitachi has helped clear some space on the Humax.

What do you advise?

10. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,187
    The .ts file (transport stream) is the only file you need. The other files are sidecar files required by the hdr to play the .ts file. The .ts needs conversion to a programme stream file (.mpg) for use with a dvd authoring package.

As others have said it's not free but it's a very clever piece of software Video Redo TV Suite is the bees knees

VideoReDo MPEG Video Editing Software

You can play and convert .ts files on a PC using the free VLC Player

VLC media player - Open Source Multimedia Framework and Player

11. nosliere

nosliere
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for this.

I went to the free site, downloaded it and installed it, but the video menu is greyed out. Not sure if I confirmed or not as I never got the confirmation email. This may be something to do with France, where I live. Tried to do it via the French site, but couldn't get past the 2nd frame of the wizard, so I've emailed the VLC team to find out why.

I'm sure I'll get there in the end. I'll keep you posted on progress.

Checked out the VideoRedo site, but I'm not planning to do anything other than burn my classic movies to DVD

12. ashtreex

ashtreex
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I tried Video Redo and several other highly recommended apps but bees knees they may be, but too complicated for me! I just couldn't discover what settings I needed. Convertx just does exactly what I wanted right thru to burning a DVD. VLC player is brilliant though.

Yes all you need is the .ts file.

I had to reformat my 8gb thumb drive as FAT 16/32 before the Humax would use it.

13. nosliere

nosliere
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just opened it with VLC: took me a while to realise I had to use right click and open with. It plays brilliant. Thanks. Now for the conversion!

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 6, 2009
  14. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,187
    Alternatively open vlc, select the file menu and open the file you wan't to view

15. ashtreex

ashtreex
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Conversions take about an hour and a half - 2 hrs. Basically the software does the conversion as the movie plays, as far as I can see. Struggle on!

16. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,187
    Using which software ?. Video redo can convert a 60 min .ts to .mpg in a few minutes as only edits are recoded.

17. ashtreex

ashtreex
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm sure VideoRedo is absolutely fine, I just couldn't find how to get it to work for me, ie convert a .ts file and burn a playable DVD. A few minutes processing would be much better. Also is cost a factor? I think ConvertX costs about £40.

18. nosliere

nosliere
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Been running for well over 2 hours and result icon is same. 2.56 gb source file now only up to 320mb. Also computer has slowed down to a crawl so everything else takes for ever. How do I know what format VLC is converting to? What format do DVDs use? MP4 or something else? How do I do it? Menu not at all clear. Sounds as if £40 is worth it if it saves all this time, but it has to be idiot-proof for me. I'm going to go to bed and leave it running.

19. ashtreex

ashtreex
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sounds as if £40 is worth it if it saves all this time, but it has to be idiot-proof for me.

My exact journey. I'm an idiot clearly, I got fed up with not being able to work different apps however warmly recommended. Not that CovertX is perfect but it does work every time.

20. nosliere

nosliere
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Left it running all night and file is reduced from 3.2 gb to 800 mb: it plays on the PC, but it still won't play on the DVD.

DVD player says:

Disc Error

Please eject the disk

Playback features may not be available on this disk.

The disk is an Imation DVD+R

What did I do wrong?

21. nosliere

nosliere
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just put a DVD of "Singin' in the Rain" in the PC and checked the file extensions.

There's a single folder VIDEO_TS containing six each of .IFO and .BUP but nine .VOB files. Windows Media Player will play .VOB, but VLC won't. Of the .VOB files, eight have prefix VTS_ and one is VIDEO_TS

Weird, eh?

So how do I convert recorded films to .VOB?

22. nosliere

nosliere
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Looks as if the file I tried to convert last night has no extension just (.) VLC plays it anyway, but Windows Media won't.

23. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,187
    You need a dvd authoring package of some description that takes the raw .mpg files and creates the correct folder and file structure for a dvd. The video info is in the .vob files and the disc navigation data is in the .ifo files. If you have a full version of Nero this can do the trick. Otherwise try IMG Burn

The Official ImgBurn Website
    AfterDawn.com: Guides: How to burn a DVD Folder with ImgBurn

You can either burn the Video_TS folder to your hard disc and use a burning programme like nero to burn to dvd or create the disc image (.iso) and burn that that instead.

In the file menu in vlc choose open folder and choose a video_ts foldar, vlc will play this OK

Last edited: Oct 6, 2009
  24. nosliere

nosliere
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks. No problem at all playing films in VLC. Problem is to burn them to a blank 4.7mb DVD+R disk so that I can play them on my DVD player.

I've looked at the IMG site and note they have step-by-step menus with screen-dumps for clods like me, just like the tutorials I've (not for three days while wrestling with this problem) been writing for students and trainee researchers for processing and analysing data from questionnaire surveys (opinion polls etc).

I'll try the IMG method after dinner.

25. ashtreex

ashtreex
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello GrahamTompson, "it takes about 90 mins - 2 hours" - you asked, which software? That's with ConvertX. I have absolutely no interest in promoting this software, but like nosliere I spent days puzzling over MPEG 3, MPG 4, VOB files, ts folders versus .ts files etc etc etc. I tried out VideoRedo and as far as I remember I just couldn't figure out the simple way to take a .ts file and end up with a DVD that any DVD player would play. The editing etc was clearly very nice but I didn't want to bother with that.

Therefore I paid up for ConvertX and although it's a pain waiting for the conversion process, I stuff a DVD disc in, drag a .ts file into its window, press Go or whatever, and 2 hrs later I come back and get the playable DVD. Result! as far as my particular requirement is concerned.

26. nosliere

nosliere
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Absolutely! That's exactly what I want!

Still got to check out IMG as I actually spent last evening constructing an interactive guide for all my SPSS tutorials. I may be a survey research and analysis guru, but at 68 I sure ain't gonna be an AV one. Mind you, gotta design a web site this winter as my page on www.academia.edu is very difficult for updating and editing.

This and exchanges with VLC and VideoRedo remind me of an old computer story about the IT team asked to design a swing. They came up with all sorts of Heath-Robinson contraptions, but all the client wanted was an old car tyre hanging from a branch on the end of a rope.

Mind you, once I get into it I may want to venture into editing and burning home movies as well. How about reels of Super-8 film to DVD?

27. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,187
    I use video redo plus which does not do the actual dvd burning but just creates the .mpg files that can be burnt by a million free programmes to dvd. A 1hr programme conversion without edits to remove adverts takes about 3 mins to convert. A 1hr ITV programme which takes about 5 mins to edit out the ads converts to .mpg in about another 5 mins. The reason your software takes so long is that it's taking perfectly good mpeg2 data created by the broadcaster and reconverting it into mpeg2 with likely a reduction in quality.

28. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,187
    Film is very awkward to transfer although possible. The easiest way is to simply project the film onto a small screen and film the resulting image with a DV camcorder. A DV camcorder will digitise the image into a 720 x 576 digital file. This is easily convertible to a DVD. However there are a few snags. You really need a projector with a variable speed to minimise the flicker arising from the interaction between the shutter on the projector running at 18fps as against the camera 25fps. You will also get a bright spot in the centre that can be sorted by mounting a small disc in the centre of the projector lens stuck to fine cotton. The professional way is to use a flying spot scanner which scans each frame seperately to a digital image (That's how movies are converted to TV) way beyond the sort of money amateurs can afford :eek:

29. ashtreex

ashtreex
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I can see the attraction though I'm trying to resist getting sucked back into the bog of options I remember in VideoRedo ... Can you specify exactly what settings you used in VideoRedo? As in Step 1, Step 2, Step 3 ...

30. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,187
    There aren't any settings required in in videoredo plus. You simply open a TS file, mark the start and end you require or mark bits you want to cut out like adverts and than save as which creates the .mpg file. If you want to join several together you simply select them using windows explorer and drag and drop then onto video redo to join them into 1 clip using the joiner. The more complex bits in TV suite are associated with DVD Authoring like making chapter marks and menus to access these.