• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Turn pc on with ps3

CJSIMPSON

Established Member
I have started using the pc as a media server recently and want to know if there is a way to turn the pc on from the ps3 or using any device. My pc is upstairs and it would be nice to turn it on remotely rather than have to go upstairs each time we want to put a film on. Any ideas?

Br0ken

Distinguished Member
[-]As far as I know there isn't a way of turning on a PC which is off. Not just from a PS3 but in general. It can't be done.[/-]

[-]Unless you want to try leaving your PC in sleep mode, rather than a full shutdown, the PC is still active but, well, sleeping. When the Network Card gets a data packet it'll wake up the the pc (Wake On Lan). Not sure how far you can with this with the PS3 though.[/-]

6950rpm

Established Member
WOL can power on a PC from being 'off' as the aux power is still powering the sys board / network card.

I guess the only way to do that from the PS3 would be to install Linux on it.

Far easier option would be to find a place to stick a old PC and fill it with storage and use that as a NAS box - I put mine in the attic.

CJSIMPSON

Established Member
What would be needed on this pc and how would I copy files to it?

Also isnt there just some sort of remote device i can fit to my pc then use a remote to turn it on or off, sounds simple enough

CJSIMPSON

Established Member
Just thinking about this but I dont have an old pc lying around. At the moment I am using an external usb2 500GB hard drive for media storage, is there a way I can run this as a media sever/nas device that will be compatible with the ps3. I have had a quick look and found nas enclosures but not sure how they would work as it would need some dnla software such as twonky or tversity running on it wouldnt it?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom