• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.
  • Black Friday Deals
    Visit our Black Friday page for our frequently updated, hand picked deals on TVs and other tech.

Turn off read only on a folder

Moldiver

Tying to add artwork to movies in iTunes but can't, looks like it is because the folder is set to read only. I can turn it off but when I click ok and then go back into properties read only has came back on.

Any ideas?

EndlessWaves

Distinguished Member
In windows folders can't be read-only, just the files inside them (the option in the folder properties is to set it for all contained files) so if you're having trouble adding files to the folder (rather than editing or replacing existing files) then that cannot be the problem and I'm look elsewhere, perhaps at the folder's permissions or iTunes.

Moldiver

It's just a random folder with some movie files in it, apparently when the files are not read only an artwork tab will appear in iTunes.

Saw this on an apple forum

"I had the same problem when I loaded a bunch of movies that I burned on a portable hard drive from one computer to another. All of the new movies I added when loaded into itunes did not have an artwork tab available while my earlier movies did. I figured out that the problem was that all of the new, copied movies had been set to read only. I simply went to the folder on my computer where all of the new movies were stored and set the permissions for "everyone" to allow everything. It fixed it immediately! I hope this helps!"

Problem is this didn't seem t work for me. Everyone has all permissions apart from special permissions.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom