'Turn off Lutron Light' on Harmony command also turns off TV - work around

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Control & Remote Controls' started by VELS, Jun 14, 2015.

1. VELS

VELS
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ive got a logitech harmony ultimate (hub and remote) that Ive setup to control my TV (Samsung ue40h6400) and my Lutron Infared Dimmer (as well as some other devices - Apple TV, Sky box etc).

The issue is if i send the Lights off (as well as the Lights On) command to the Lutron dimmer the same command also switches off the TV.

What are my options for turning off the Lutron dimmer without turning off the TV ?

Last edited: Jun 14, 2015
  2. logiciel

logiciel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,788
    Use an emitter for the lights.

3. VELS

VELS
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Logiciel,

By emitter are you referring to the mini blasters ? If so ive set one up pointing at the dimmer and configured the harmony to only send commands via the blaster for the lights, so nothing will come out of the hub, but it seems the IR is still bouncing round the room and turning off the TV.

The only other thing i can think of is to get a another IR hub from keane - HERE - and then put the receiver from that next to a harmony mini blaster, tell harmony only to place the tv commands via that mini blaster, then attach the IR transmitter of the Keane system on the front of the TV and cover it with one of the IR sheilds - HERE - so that the only IR signal the TV was getting would be from the Keane hub.

But that seems a very complex way of doing it, do you think there are any other options ?

4. logiciel

logiciel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,788
    Hi.
    Yes, the IR output could be finding its way around the room.
    The emitters are only small so wouldn't it be possible to cover it?
    Logiciel.

5. mikelj

mikelj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +484
    I assume your Lutron dimmer is a Rania IR.

If so, then although the Rania only has 1 memory setting on the supplied remote, it can actually memorise more settings (I've set 4 in the past, but I think it may be possible to store up to 10 settings in memory). You could try using 1 memory for lights 'full on' and another memory for lights off. These codes would be different from the on/off codes and may not affect the TV.

6. VELS

VELS
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    @mikelj Correct it is a Rania IR, although i didnt purchase the separate remote (as i planned to control it through the harmony, although i can get one if its required) How can i set these memory settings ?

7. mikelj

mikelj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +484
    The different memory settings should be listed under the device commands. Set your Rania to the desired level and then press and hold the button for desired memory until the green led on your Rania flashes quickly - this will mean your have successfully stored that light level to that memory setting.

8. VELS

VELS
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    @mikelj thanks so i set the level on the inwall keypad or on the remote ? If its on the keypad once the level is set how do I now know the code for that setting ?

9. mikelj

mikelj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +484
    Doesn't matter how you set the light level you want - either via Rania itself or your remote - just choose one of the memory buttons and press and hold until rapid green flags in lights seen on Rania. You don't need the code as the memory commands are in the Harmony database.

I need to apologise however, as I've just remembered that you can't set off as a memory setting (but you can set any other light intensity as a memory).