1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Turn off I-Player & digital reception get's killed???

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by cerebros, Jun 29, 2003.

1. cerebros

cerebros

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Looks like my concerns over the build quality of the I-Player are turning into problems...

I decided to see what the signal strength & picture quality were like on the box when it was connected to an aerial socket being fed by an external aerial (as opposed to the internal attic aerial I've got), so I powered down the I-Player, unplugged it from my set-up and took it over to my parents place.

I was a bit puzzled when, after having plugged it in and attempting to tune the channels, the box said it couldn't find any channels, but assumed that the aerial might well be pointing the wrong way or the signal might need the help of a signal booster as it does at my place.

However, on returning home i found that the box couldn't be retuned in to the channels I'd had before. I tried auto-tuning a number of times, but the box wouldn't find anything whereas just an hour and a half earlier it had everything Freeview offers at the moment.

Anyway, I'm prepared to give Netgem the benefit of the doubt this once and assume it's a duff unit. I'm getting mine swapped out by John Lewis, who were terribly helpful when I called the number on the dispatch note.

2. Tenex

Tenex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,066
    I'm a bit concerned about build quality too - see my reply to our conversation in the other thread http://***********/fk7x

3. cybersoga

cybersoga

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    I've never had a problem with my I-Player, i've had it connected via RGB scart and Component and the picture is flawless (as far as freeview goes), the only real difference between RGB and component is that with RGB the picture is shifted to the left a little, wheras component is perfectly centered. The picture does break up now and again, as does every box i've tried so I dont believe there's anything particularly wrong with it - they are upgrading my transmitter next month anyway.

P.S. Make sure your I-Player has the latest software (firmware), you'll need to go online with your I-Player and point it to https://www.netgemplatform.co.uk/upgrade/forumindex.htm (NOTE: ITS https:// not http:// )

4. cerebros

cerebros

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    > Red face mode <

Constant tinkerer that I am, after having left the box turned off completely (i.e. mains off, not on standby), I turned the box back on and ran the autotune, and it found all the channels...

Rang JL back and explained the situation and they said they'd keep the RMA active for a couple of days, but if it didn't have any other problems in that time, give them a call and they'd cancel the RMA

5. Tenex

Tenex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,066
    I haven't yet looked at connecting to the Internet - I have a broadband connection so how would I go about?

How do you explain away the seeming pooor shielding? Even moving my hand above the unit makes the picture break up and placing it on another box is out of the question.

6. cerebros

cerebros

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    In my (limited) experience of digital TV so far, Freeview seems to have none of the massive start of scene blocking I've seen on Sky Digital, which was a pleasant surprise, although I'm only watching via a 14" screen at the moment, so artifacts are going to be a bit less noticeable anyway.

The occasional break-up/distortion and/or a bit of blockiness is to be expected (although this has been far less prevalent than I'd feared - even on fast moving scenes that I'd expected to tax the bit-rate for the channel have been surprisingly block free).

However, what I'm seeing from time to time is almost like a frame buffer isn't being properly cleared, where the bottom of one scene remains on-screen. Whether this is down to the box itself, or how the box handles some problem with the signal is something I can't determine.

To be honest, as I say in my user review I suspect most of the blips and problems I see are down to not having access to a roof mounted external aerial - I'm 99% sure that I'd be getting better signal strength with an external roof, rather than internal attic aerial. But as I'm renting I'm not overly inclined to fork out for getting an external aerial errected, or at least not until I know if I'm going to be here for longer than the initial contract period

7. cerebros

cerebros

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    The easiest way to connect is to use the supplied phone cable and plug that into the closest of your ADSL micro filters. That would at least allow you to download the latest update.

To use your broadband connection, assuming you're using an ADSL router running NAT as opposed to a USB ADSL modem or internal PCI card , using you'll need a USB to ethernet adapter. There's a listing of compatible USB devices on the Netgem site
    here . From the limited scouting round that I've done, the cheapsest I've found one of these for is £19.97 (at the time of writing, & I'm not sure if that includes P&P) from Dabs. If you load the main page and enter "E100" into the Fast Search box at the top of the page, you should get a page with a number of product matches. Scroll down to the first D-link product section, under product type "USB: Hubs", and you should see an entry for the DU-E100. (If anyone else knows where to get one of these cheaper, I'd love to know thanks)

Once you got this, you'll need to configure your I-Player to connect to your internal network that the ADSL router is connected to, plug the adapter in and connect it to the physical network, and in theory it should be able to browse the 'net. I say in theory because I've not tried this myself (currently strapped for cash so even £20 for the adapter is a bit much).

If you're not using an ADSL router, I'm afraid I'm not going to be much use to you, as that's going to make matters rather complicated

8. Tenex

Tenex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,066
    Thanks for that. I have Blueyonder so no ADSL & splitters etc. It'll be the USB one for me. I'm putting new network connections in during redecoration later in the month and I'll finally break the seal on the router box. ;)

Interestingly, I plugged my Archos Jukebox Multimedia into the I-player and played back music and video without any problems whatsoever. I then managed to lock it up but cycling the power and rescanning for stations put it all back in order.

I'm quite impressed with the connectability of this unit so I hope the other issues can be cleared up.

9. cerebros

cerebros

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Well I think I'm going to get my I-Player swapped out. My gf said it was giving some message along the lines of "new configuration detected" when she brought it out of standby yesterday. Couldn't see anything different until we tried to get Channel 5 and then discovered we'd "lost" all the radio stations and a number of TV stations. Trying to retune didn't help, so I think I'm going to try getting another unit to see if that works better.

10. Tenex

Tenex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,066
    I get "new config" every time I turn it on - I assumed it was something to do not having dialled in for updated software in my case. I don't seem to lose stations but then i don't check them all.

11. cerebros

cerebros

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Well if it hadn't been for the fact that we wanted to watch Channel 5, we probably wouldn't have noticed the channels were missing for a few days, although the fact that the Now/Next screen has shrunk from 7 to 4 pages would have been a clue.

Annoyingly the box didn't do the "updating configuration" thing when I used it, so I'm sure my gf thinks I think she imagined it or something.

My I-player has been connected to the phone constantly when it's been in use, and I've also tried updating a couple of times since I first installed and updated, but I keep getting the message that the software is up to date. (Not sure how the box knows this, unless the box is programmed to recognise that there won't be new software for a few weeks after the latest version has been released).