Turn 5.1.2 upfiring dolby atmos into a virtual 11.1.6 dolby atmos

postbox

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys,
I discovered how to turn your 5.1.2 upfiring Atmos into a virtual 11.1.6 speakers/sound stage.
Meaning if you only have 5 surround speakers and 2 atmos upfiring speakers, it will sound like a 11.1.6 config, you will be hearing 11 speakers and 6 atmos sound stage. The requirement is that you only have 2 upfiring atmos front speakers only. I will be posting a youtube tutorial soon. I would say this is how to correctly set up the original 5.1.2 dolby atmos upfiring speakers. If you can't wait for the youtube tutorial, I can teach you how.
I will teach you the misconception about 5.1.2 upfiring dolby atmos and the principles you need to apply when setting up your 5.1.2 dolby atmos correctly and to experience it like a 11.1.6 atmos without additional speakers.
This sounds impossible, but I just had this setup in my theater and It just sound amazing! it's like having 11.1.2 dolby atmos in my home theater with just a 5.2.2 speakers (1 have 2 subs). You have to hear it to believe it. After trying dolby atmos 5.1.2 uprfiring from 2016 to 2022 and almost giving up on it, I've finally cracked the code of 5.1.2 dolby atmos correct setup.

This setup principle also upmix the 5.1 dolby surround content into virtual dolby atmos

Hi Guys,
I discovered how to turn your 5.1.2 upfiring Atmos into a virtual 11.1.6 speakers/sound stage.
Meaning if you only have 5 surround speakers and 2 atmos upfiring speakers, it will sound like a 11.1.6 config, you will be hearing 11 speakers and 6 atmos sound stage. The requirement is that you only have 2 upfiring atmos front speakers only. I will be posting a youtube tutorial soon. I would say this is how to correctly set up the original 5.1.2 dolby atmos upfiring speakers. If you can't wait for the youtube tutorial, I can teach you how.
Still waiting. :)
Cabin Fever Reaction GIF

Sorry, very busy at work :) and only have 2 hours free leisure time and using it to watch dolby atmos movies :)
maybe soon

If anyone is interested with a current setup of 5.1.2 upfiring speakers or just starting a home theater build, I can answer questions on why 5.1.2 dolby atmos upfiring can work as a virtual 11.1.6 dolby atmos. It's a combination of speaker placement, room acoustics material, placement and sound principles.

It works, and it's the reason why Dolby introduced 5.1.2 upfiring dolby atmos setup initially. But what the general consumers didn't know is that correct room acoustics and speaker placement plays a big role to maximize its potential. Not the speaker placement as advertised, marketed and expected. Maybe I would say it would match an Auro 3D but with less number of speakers needed to use. though I haven't heard or experience an auro 3d, just from what others explained.

Tip #1: Stop using and don't rely on Dolby Atmos Demos video/sound reels to test your Dolby Atmos setup.
This is just for marketing purposes not the reality in movies.
I used to do that before for many years, it didn't help and you will only be disappointed when you have a 5.1.2 set up.
Because you didn't have a Dolby atmos just to play demos.

Tip #2; Forget everything about your misconception or wrong perception about 5.1.2 upfiring Dolby Atmos.
I would say all your perception about 5.1.2 upfiring is wrong, the way it was explained. To fully understand how 5.1.2 upfiring Dolby Atmos works, you must have a new fresh perspective.
Like me before, using it almost for 6 years and I almost gave up on 5.1.2 upfiring until I changed my perspective and expectations to solve the anomaly.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom