1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TUPT600 Tuner vs E55 DVR

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by tutin, Mar 2, 2005.

1. tutin

tutin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Something that boggles my mind - how come the TUPT600 Panasonic tuner (for PW7 plasma) is more expensive than a Panasonic DVD-Recorder WITH a tuner built-in ?

I see a certian disadvantage to using the TUPT600 - the plasma is blocked for other input boards when the TUPT one is connected. This means PiP is lost if i understand this correct. Then it's also an additional device + cabling.

If i'd take the E55 DVD-Recorder - i get it all at once, a dvd recorder and a tuner, plus I will not block my plasma's PiP function. Furthermore - it's LESS expensive.

What's the advantage of the TUPT600 to make it that more expensive ?

2. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    there are none........

3. w3dal

w3dal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +507
    if i went for a E55 DVR what else what i need to connect it to my PW7?

Dal

4. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +460
    you can connect it via scart or component......component is excellent

5. JIMMY

JIMMY

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    you also get teletext people useually sell them with card + cables
    jim 2nd hand around £200

6. AFCB01

AFCB01

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes I was also wondering what the Tuner actually provided.
    Is it a case that without it you would not get telextext - if you have Skyplus or Freeview does the text not come straight from them therefore no need for the tuner

7. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +460
    you get 'digital' versions with SKY+ on some channels, BBC is very good at this....which to my mind are better than teletext which is antiquated

8. tutin

tutin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You mean you get digital television, or just some sort of digital teletext ?

Basically all a tuner has more than a dvd recorder is the teletext ? That's not a major advantage, seen the drawbacks it carries, like no PiP, configuration through tuner, loss of additional connection boards on the plasma itself, price difference, obviously the inability to record (or even read in that matter) dvds...

9. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +460
    sky+ is a digital satellite service with a form of digital teletext that on bbc for example has quite a nice GUI more akin to browser than menu driven teletext

10. AFCB01

AFCB01

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Do the component boards go into the back of the plasma and are then linked to say the DVD-R by a component cable

Havent got Sky Plus at the moment have NTL but am changing end of March.

Will also be buying a home cinema surround system then

Also have a Panny DVDR - MRE50 (The model prior to the E55)

All these would need connecting to the Plasma panel

So am I right in thinking I connect the SkyPlus box to the DVD recorder (via RGB Scart) and then connect the DVD Recorder to the Plasma (by Component or alternatively through an RGB to VGA converter to go to the VGA slot in the Plasma)

Also how would I then connect the sound system to the Plasma - I would also need to connect a Camcorder as well from time to time

Some of the questions I think have been answered before just want to have a clear view of what exactly I need to get

This is all for connection with the Panny PWD7 panel

11. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +460
    yes the component boards go in the back (at the base) of the plasma...think of it like graphic cards in a pc (but even easier to fit).
    Sky+ can be connected to the e55 as you suggest and e55 by either route to the screen (component or rgb to vga) ...there are several other alternatives including s-video between sky+ and dvdr and sky+ via rgb to vga direct to screen.
    The surround sound connections will depend on what you go for but basically if you connected as above you dont need to put video through the amp (but it can reduce cables goiing to screen)...you will just have digital optical links from sky+ to amp and from dvdr to amp.

12. AFCB01

AFCB01

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    MEP

Many thanks for your help - is there a certain component board I need to go to the PWD7 or one you can recommend

So I am right that if I connect the Amp of the sound system to the DVDR and Skybox with the digital optical links you mention then I need not connect it to the plasma

Excuse my ignorance but are the digital optical links just cables?

Thanks onece again you have made a lot of factors clearer

13. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +460
    http://www.tvcables.co.uk/cgi-bin/tvcables/PGD5000.html

something like this, NOT digital coax...digital optical.....can spend a little or alot as with all cables! :)

You can get a straight forward component board or the component/SVHS/Composite
    Dual Slot Terminal Board (which as the name suggests takes up two input slots) either is fine but the second has more options. You may have to get boards with bnc connectors which means that you will need either component cables with bnc terminals or bnc to rca converter plugs (these are only a few quid each and do the job just fine)

14. AFCB01

AFCB01

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Excellent MEP you have been a big help

If I need any further assistance once I have the equipment I know where to come and who to ask!

Cheers once again

15. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +460
    no worries mate......I have very similar set up and have tried most options along the way! :)...what budget do you have for amp and speakers?

16. AFCB01

AFCB01

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have budget of around about 200.00 for the Amp and speakers

Is there something you can recommend for around that price or would I be looking at a lot more

17. tutin

tutin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If I would get a RGB=>VGA converter to connect the E55 to the plasma directly without any input boards on the plasma itself - will this work in progressive mode ? Thought I would always need the component input (cables) for progressive and ordered an input board for it..

18. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    dont worry about progressive mode too much as plasma display everything progressively

19. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +460
    Well I went for the canton cd1s at about £420 and a yammy amp around £250...wasn'tgoing to straight away as I had a cheap and cheerful system already but once i got the screen it just didnt do it justice....you can get the cantons cheaper from Germany.....maybe for about £230 i seem to recall

20. AFCB01

AFCB01

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Might be out of my price range at the moment

Had seen and heard the Panasonicc HTC05 Home Cinema System and can get this for about 200.00

Does anybody know if this a reasonable purchase at the price - at the momnt I have no surround system at all and to my ears it sounded plenty good enough for me when I heard it tested

21. tutin

tutin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just coming back from the local dealer - I got the Panasonic E55 DVD-Recorder.