1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tunner

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Colonel Burton, Jun 15, 2004.

1. Colonel Burton

Colonel Burton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Hi all don`t know if this is the right place for this post but if not please feel free to move it ;) i have no idea when it comes to plasmas and to be honest niether does my friend/work mate more money then sence, right just need to know if/where i could get a tunner box for a philips 42" plasma(he did tell me the model but i forgot it :oops: ) tv it`s just that he is moving to the States shortly and is selling most of the stuff he as (already bought a pc monitor off of him ) and this is another item i`m interested in he told me the tunner got damaged/broke but didn`t tell me how (i think he my have been messing with it ) so before i can consider the offer i would need to be able to get the tunner or is there something else i could/can use in order for me to connect my dvd and vcr up to it many thanks

2. kacang

kacang

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    whithout the model I guess it's hard to give a proper answer, but most plasma's can take S-video or Composite and or component inputs. The tuner box usually is for tuneing tv channels. Or maybe the philips plasma need an additional board. Even so, if it is a late model you can probably have the tuner box repaired by philips anyhow... Ask for the model number of the plasma and post it here.... and call philips and ask them what a reapi costs on average for a tuner box.. they might say nothing , but who knows..

erick

3. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV
    Well-known Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    If it's a philips plasma tv (code similar to PF429945, PF429955, PF429965 etc) then you will find it near impossible to buy the tuner box on it's own. If it's a philips plasma monitor (older codes were 42P10, 42P20, 42P30) then there is no tuner box but it has some video inputs on the back. The TVs have a two year on-site warranty so your mate should really consider getting the tuner fixed since the plasma dont work without it!!!!

Being a paranoid type - how well do you know your friend?? I only ask since we get phone calls every now and then from someone who has bought a Pioneer or Philips plasma television, but only got the monitor part which won't work without the tuner part! They nearly always bought them off the back of a truck, or from a ripped out movie editing suite, or imported from Japan etc so I would say check it out properley before you hand any money over....

4. Colonel Burton

Colonel Burton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Thanks for the replys and conserns,I`ve only known him for a couple of months but he don`t seem a dodge type (but i guess you don`t really know anyone these days) but i`ll ask for more info reguarding the tv as you`ve now got me a little paranoid, oh by the way the model number he gave me was pw9982 no idea if it`s right or not

5. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV
    Well-known Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    I'm sure it's kosher mate but always gotta keep your eye out with these things. The PW9982 is an older Philips code from about 3 years ago I would guess. I think it was popular then too but technology has changed so the price would have to be very tempting given that the latest one can be had for less than £3k and it's a little beaut!

6. Colonel Burton

Colonel Burton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    ok thanks for the help and advice,i think i`ll give it a miss then cheers ;)