Tuning in - twice!

Discussion in 'Digital TV & Video Players & Recorders' started by linseed, Jul 20, 2005.

Tags:
  1. linseed

linseed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've recently bought an LG VCR.
    I've been able to tune the TV stations in and
    change them to the correct order, but I've got a problem changing channels sometimes.
    For example, if I change from, say, BBC1 [1] to ITV1 [3}, I initially get a blue screen with five horizontal bars in the top right-hand corner. But then if I press 3 again, ITV does appear. Tbis can happen with any combination of channels. So, in other words, I'm having to press twice to tune in to a station.
    So, any ideas as to what's going on.
    Thanks.

2. linseed

linseed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This refers to a VHS recorder, of course.

3. njp

njp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +169
    Just to be clear; is this happening when you press 1 and then immediately press 3 on the remote? Some TVs/VCRs assume that 2 key presses within a short interval denote a double-digit channel number. So pressing 1 and then 3 would select channel 13 (probably not tuned to anything). Pressing 3 again would then be a new selection and give you the desired channel.

Of course, if this is happening with a single key press, then none of the above applies and I haven't a clue what is going on!

4. linseed

linseed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    NJP,

I noted your comments on the speed of channel changing - and I think that was the problem.
    Initially, sometimes I was changing channels while the channel info was still on the screen [BBC1, STEREO, NICAM].
    Now, if I wait for the screen to clear, I can change channel okay.
    As I can change channels instantly on my TV, I wasn't aware of this system - but I am now!
    So, thanks for your post.

5. njp

njp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +169
    Glad I could help. Timing-dependent behaviour like that is usually a PITA, in my opinion. They should give you an option to disable it (but they never do!)