Tuners

Shagga

Standard Member
Hi all,
Recently was given a Samsung 42" Plasma display that came with a DVD/VHS Combo player that is also the tuner for this set (Apparently). I had an installation guy come round to price up wall mounting it and he recommended getting a Samsung tuner as opposed to using the combo player. Is he correct...? My setup does suffer occasionally from lip sync problems.
Any advice would be appreciated.

Cheers

J

jmack

if you know the model number ?

do you use sky / ntl /freeview?

what imputs are on the samsung

i`m sure if your using the vcr as a tuner your getting the worse picture possible pal/composite.

give us a bit more info and we will try to help more

Shagga

Standard Member
Hi jmack,
Yes I am using the VCR unit as a tuner and yes I do have Sky +. It's driving me round the bend at the moment.
Thanks for the reply

J

jmack

go make a cup of coffee

and read

http://www.avforums.com/forums/search.php?s=&action=showresults&searchid=1221749&sortby=lastpost

do you have the sky+going into video then to screen?:( :( :(

if you have s-video on samsumg use the s-video output on sky plus, its not a bad picture on s-video.

if it can take a rgb signal over component imput maybe a rgb scart from sky+ to rca/rgb

or maybe a rgb to vga box or rgb to yuv box

www.rgbtosvideo.com

check this will work with your plasma first

and lastly chuck the vcr in bin, you have sky+ now;) ;) ;)

MAW

Banned
RGB to YUV is the best option there, vga will not work due to the synch frequency, but s-video is pretty good for tv, the slightly softer image sometimes helps with less than perfect signals. Jasonjo and I spent hours fiddling a couple of weeks ago, and in the end agreed that for value for money, s-video was unbeatable. £150 for a marginal improvement might not be worth your while.

Shagga

Standard Member
Thanks guys,
Not sure I wanna know about you fiddling with Jasonjo but thanks very much for the advice. Do any of you know of a good installation company...?

Thanks again

Jasonjo

Since getting my PWD6 screen and having used a friends RGB2SVID, I have found the best result to be using the RGB2VGA with NTL. This gives the sharpest picture and I am very happy with it :)

As Martin said though, don't forget good old S-Video, it is surprising how good it can be....especially on the VHA30 plasma.

Also, just to clarify..."Not sure I wanna know about you fiddling with Jasonjo but thanks very much for the advice" - I think Martin meant the constant plugging in and out of video cables/converters to try all posibilities - just to keep me happy!!!! :D

JJ