1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tuners on Plasma's ????

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Stu Ward, Mar 15, 2005.

1. Stu Ward

Stu Ward
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Being a total Plasma noob, could somebody answer me this question.

Is the tuner just for receiving traditional Analogue terrestrial TV ?
    If i purchase one, its going to be used for DVD / SKY + only so do i need a tuner ?

Thanks

Stu

2. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Some plsma TVs have a freeview digital terrestrial tuner, there is no such thing as a built in sky tuner. You don't need a tuner on your plasma at all, you could use an AV amplifier as the video/audio hub. Lots of people do this, done right it gives you one video cable to the screen for convenience/tidiness, and convenient operation for 'er indoors etc. Kinda logical then, press 'on', press 'dvd' and the dvd appears on the screen, press'tv' and tv appears on the screen. It's the purist's route too, the tuners often leave something to be desired, and most have some form of electronic clag that stops you from doing the right things with the screen. They trade maximum quality picture for convenience and a setup the most blithering idiot could manage. Since you have arrived here you can't be a blithering idiot, I daresay you can plug the necessary leads together, and cope with turning on RGB on your set top box!

3. Stu Ward

Stu Ward
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks MAW

So as i have a sky box and a dvd player, i can just connect them straight to the Plasma screen without the need for a tuner box ?

I have a DTS sound system so that takes care of the audio

4. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    You've got it. There are of course many ways to connect stuff, the right way will depend on your choice of panel to a small extent, had you anything in mind?

5. Stu Ward

Stu Ward
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Not at this point, other than the fact i have quite a tight budget. probably £1200 max spend

Any Recommendations ?

Stu

6. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    You need just a bit more to go for Panasonic, though if Richer sounds have got any 6 series PW left, go and bite their arm off. You might or might not need a video card then, or you might find a JS RGB to VGA converter will get you up and running best. Give them a bell if I were you, luck might be on your side. They've certainly got the 37" version at a good price.

7. Stu Ward

Stu Ward
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Took a look at the richer sounds site

Confused though cause they state that none of the screens have SCART connections. Is this because you have to buy a card to plug in ?

8. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Yes that's right, hence my pointing you somewhere where the extras are within your budget. It's easy to do, far easier than a PCI card on your PC. With the 6 series, you can use component video or VGA on the screen as it comes. The 7 series is VGA only. The 'JS Box' I referred to is a converter with a scart socket on it that then gives a VGA signal. Gives a damn good picture too, better than the panasonic scart board. Does your sound system switch video at all? Of course you can just daisy chaiin your scart devices, that works well too.

9. Brooktop

Brooktop

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    I got the PW6 from Richer Sounds and although the prices are keen, don't take anything they tell you as gospel! In fact, don't even ask them any questions, get the advice from forum members.

I initially walked out of RS because they told me the PW6 could not be connected to my E55 DVDR without a tuner box and scart board!