Tuner usage - am I understanding correctly ?

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by nwpsys, Sep 8, 2007.

1. nwpsys

nwpsys

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Pretty new to my HD ( or in fact any Sky ) box, and starting to work out how things all hang together. Just a question or two regarding the interaction of the twin tuners.

1) If I am recording a show from the planner, and I use the TV guide to browse to that same channel to watch the show, is the box clever enough to show me the picture from the tuner that is already recording it ?

2) If I pause the show I am watching in question one, does it continue to use just the one tuner to handle my live pause and continue recording the show from the planner ?

3) Reading the forums I am aware of the struggles the box has when recording two HD programs. Last weekend I was watching one of the two HD channels set to record, and when the recording started, my picture froze. If I want to watch one of HD shows that are recording concurrently, will I be able to watch it in chase play mode, or will I always get picture freeze when the box is recording two HD shows ?

TIA,

nwpsys

2. Laggy

Laggy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +75
    1) Yes, you can watch a programme that is recording (using one tuner).

2) Yes, you can pause a show whilst its still recording and it will still use the one tuner.

3) Personally I haven't had a problem whilst recording two HD shows whilst playing back one recording in chase play (or another HD programme already recorded in the planner) but I've heard of people having a trouble with jolting etc. To be honest though its pretty rare for me to be recording two HD programmes at the same time, so perhaps I've not had enough experience. Do a test by recording two HD channels and then go to play one back whilst there still recording - if it doesn't freeze again then you should be fine.

3. Scapegoat

Scapegoat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +137
    It should (and does 99.9% of the time) work fine. I can record 2 HD programmes and watch a 3rd HD programme from the planner.

However on 2 occassions doing this is the only times my box has 'crashed' and plunged into standby requiring a 'reset' i.e. disconnect the power and restart. I lost the programmes I was recordning both times.

4. nwpsys

nwpsys

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Well, happy to report I did some tests and I haven't been able to reproduce the problem.

I set two HD shows to record, and the box quite happily let me pick one of these channels from the guide to watch. I was also able to watch one of them on chase play, too. No screen freezes this time.

I thought I might as well give it the ultimate torture test, and I was even able to watch an HD show previously recorded, while the two shows carried on recording quite happily.

I guess it was just one of those things :)

Cheers,

nwpsys

5. mkcurtis

mkcurtis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +41
    1) If I am recording a show from the planner, and I use the TV guide to browse to that same channel to watch the show, is the box clever enough to show me the picture from the tuner that is already recording it ?

Yes. If you want you can also go to your planner and start watching the program before its even finished recording. So,if you know you are going to be late back from somewhere and you have set the box to record you can actually start watching the program when you get back even though the program is still on and not finished. Try doing that with a tape!