1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tuner required ?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by bstonehouse, May 28, 2003.

1. bstonehouse

bstonehouse

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    I am about to purchase a new Panasonic 42" plasma with an AV Amplifier/Speakers (not sure which yet). My question concerns the need for a tuner. I currently have a SKY receiver which I am about to upgrade to SKY+ which I thought I could use to receive the digital TV channels, thus not needing the Plasma Tuner.
    All the dealers I visit say that I need the tuner to enhance the picture quality for the Plasma screen. Some have said that I could avoid the need for the tuner if I buy a high spec amplifier that will improve the picture to the Plasma. I am now totally confused - any advice ?

2. Zef

Zef

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    It depends on what the Plasma takes as its input. The people are saying get a tuner because I presume the tuner board has scart/s-vid/composite as well as bog standard RF. Getting this will give you options, but they are not neccasarily the best quality.

If it takes 15pin VGA (without the tuner board) then you need a converter box to take the inputs from your sky/dvd etc to the plasma.

The Amplifier will not give you any better quality as such, but it will give you switching capability to your plasma.

A quick read on this forum will show you all the various ways in which people have connected all their toys to their panels..

3. SherrifJWPepper

SherrifJWPepper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Panasonic tuner uses its own board which has just a dedicated input for the tuner only, it also disables the VGA input on the screen. I therefore assume that the tuner and screen are linked using VGA.

The Pana tuner has 4 inputs

1 - Full feaure scart - RGB, S-Video and Composite
    2 - Scart - S-Video and Composite
    3 - S-Video and Composite on the front
    3 - Component on the rear
    4 - Full feaure scart - RGB, S-Video and Composite

The tuner is controlled from the plasma the PQ of the analogue tuner is not too good but its a good looking gadget for on your shelf :rolleyes: It comes with a 2M propriery interconnect with a 15M available if you need it

4. bstonehouse

bstonehouse

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    Thanks for the replies.

I've decided on a Panny Plasma and a DENON 3803 receiver but I'm still not convinced about needing the Panny tuner. If I use SKY as a receiver it looks as though I am getting the tuner for is telextext.

If I use the SKY reveiver for my TV channels how what connexions would I use between the SKY>3803>Plasma.

Can anyone help.

5. Dutch

Dutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +257
    Hi,

To get the best picture quality from Sky's mediocre broadcasts, you need an RGB to component coverter such as those from www.rgbtosvideo.com This could be fed direct to the plasma (with correct video card fitted) or via the 3803 if you have another component video source such as a DVD player. Hope this helps.

Steve

6. bferbrache

bferbrache

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +96
    I have connected my Sky box using a Keene electronics syncblaster cable with good results. This uses the VGA input of the Panasonic plasma. The DVD player is connected to the component input of the screen. The drawback is that you cant use your Denon's video switching abilities