1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tuner not found Error Hauppauge WinTV PVR500 MCE card

Discussion in 'Microsoft Windows' started by dobbin, Jun 17, 2005.

1. dobbin

dobbin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Help!
    I have installed a Hauppauge WinTV PVR500 MCE card into my HTPC running Win MCE2005.
    I downloaded the MCE drivers from the hauppauge web site and unzipped them to my hard drive.
    I then installed the card using the downloaded drivers.
    They show correctly in the Control Panel->System->hardware->Device Manager
    However when I go into media centre and try to setup the TV I just get a message saying "TUNER NOT FOUND"
    I have tried several Uninstall Re-installs but it seems to have no effect.
    Is there anything else I need to do to get the device to work in Media centre?

2. DaveP

DaveP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Presumably you have the necessary codecs installed? (run deccheck)

Dave

3. dobbin

dobbin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Sorry I am not sure what these are?
    What are the necessary codecs?
    Is there a list somewhere?

4. lisag

lisag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +365
  5. dobbin

dobbin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Thanks Lisa
    My card (Hauppauge WinTV-PVR-500 MCE) is on the MCE approved list and I downloaded and installed the MCE drivers from the hauppauge web site.

http://www.hauppauge.com/pages/support/support_mce.html

DVDs are playing okay in MCE so I presume my DVD codecs are okay and I presume that they would not affect the Tuner not found message anyway?
    Is there something I am missing?

6. dobbin

dobbin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Okay, I have done some more experimentation and managed to get a result!
    I decided to go into the "SET PROGRAM ACCESS AND DEFAULTS" menu. I then just deselected/selected the TV default button and "SAVED" the changes. This then let me Go into TV Settings within MCE and set it all up.
    My only problem now is that the picture isn't particularly good compared to a direct feed from the Freeview box. It is very disappointing. I will, however, try a bit more fiddling and see if I can improve it!
    SO far I have found MCE very 'challenging' and most certainly NOT for the faint hearted!
    To be honest I have NEVER had much luck recording from TV to my hard disk. The results have always been pretty poor. Is there a really good setup that works?
    I am considering abandoning TV within the PC and resorting to a proprietary hardware solution. a PVR!!
    Any thoughts?

7. lisag

lisag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +365
    I experimented with a view tv cards and also thought the same as you. I have a Pace Twin PVR which I have had for ages connected to a JS Tech Converter (RGB to VGA) and into my PW7 plasma, the pq is astoundingly good.

My MCE machine can now match it, and this is the combination that did the trick....

A Freeview TV Card, I have the Avermedia USB2 one, but I read that Black Gold or Sweetspot are also good as PCI cards - not tried them though.

Nvidia 6600GT (Gigabyte fanless AGP one) 128mb

Nvidia 66.76 drivers

Nvidia DVD codec

DVI connection to plasma at resolution 1024 x 576 @ 60hz.

Not sure which of these components makes the most difference, but it works, at last, and I am very happy with it. Apart from the guide losing its listings from time to time it is also quite reliable and I trust it to record all of my tv now.

I was very disappointed with the pq of the Hauppauge analogue card that I tried, but that was before I upgraded my graphics card.

Hope this helps?

lisa
    :)

8. dobbin

dobbin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Lisa
    That helps a lot.
    you said
    "I was very disappointed with the pq of the Hauppauge analogue card that I tried, but that was before I upgraded my graphics card."

Are you still using a Hauppauge analogue card? Is the PQ ok now?

I also have the Gigabyte fanles 6600GT graphics card but PCI express but I haven't upgraded the drivers yet so I will give that a go. I will also install the Nvidia DVD codec.
    After a few recommendations I have also ordered an AVerMedia DVB-T USB2.0. So I will give this combo a go and see what happens?
    I am still thinking about a PVR though!

9. lisag

lisag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +365
    Well good luck with that - be interested to hear what you think of the USB2 Avermedia thing.

I sold my Hauppaugue when I got the Avermedia so no, don't use it anymore.

PVR's are ok, they have good and bad points, I expect the technology has improved a lot since I got the Pace Twin which was when they first became available. No good if you are planning on using extenders though.

lisa

10. dobbin

dobbin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Upgraded the NVidia drivers to latest and installed NVidea DVD Codec and that makes it much better. Thanks.
    Bit of a 'herringbone' effect at times but still not bad.
    I will play about with it a bit more.

11. jon stallard

jon stallard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    And that sums up MCE! Whilst the sun was shinning yesterday, I was in doors playing around with the PC with MCE on, still trying to get it to work with a component to TV without any copyright issues. I tried it with a DVI connection (as well as VGA) and no problem. Yet the night before I hooked up my old DVD player via component and watched Troy in vibrance and detail (the picture quality that is - a lot of the acting matched perfectly with the wooden horse!). Why shouldn't I (not why can't I, I know why not) be able to view component via my PC on all DVD's?

And the EPG continuous to confound. It scans programs for a transmitter all right, it's just that they are not nessesarily the transmitter I'm pointing at. And when i have got it to record off it, you can guarantee the end of the program will be missing! Even when you record manually, it still stops recording after 45 minutes - although there could well be a timer at work here (well if there is, why not let you know that?).

But despite all of this, the concept is excellent. I've got my MCE PC in the bedroom at the moment but the thing I miss the most is not having it connected to my sound system. As a musical Hi Fi jukebox, it is unsurpassed and for that, I'm willing to persevere in the hope that sooner or later, the issues I have with it will be solved, in a manner that does not require 15 years of IT experience or spending Sunny sunday afternoons cursing a humming box that silently sits and laughs at you :) The best thing Microsoft could do is turn the whole thing over to Philips/Sony and let them sort it out properly. Then it will storm the living rooms across the globe :clap:

Got my mini mac turning up this week. Robot wars in my living room as MCE PC takes on Mini Mac head to head :thumbsup:

Right, had my monthly rant and feel better now!
    Cheers,
    Jon.