• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Tumble Dryers

DJT75

Distinguished Member
I'm in the market for a new tumble dryer.

After a few years of being thoroughly disappointed with Washing Machines and Tumble Dryers, I vowed never to buy cheap-mid range again. Both get used a ridiculous amount in our house and so they need to be built to last. I've not touched the likes of Hotpoint or Indesit in years (they serve a brief purpose but not for me), and out have gone the cheaper end Bosch's etc. They've been junk.

So we're reasonably happy with the current Samsung washer, but I foolishly bought a Beko dryer 17 months ago on the back of terrific reviews on John Lewis's website. After 17 months of crap they're eventually picking it up next week for a full refund.

I vowed I'd buy Miele everything next time, they're expensive right, but supposed to be the mutts nuts? So until the Samsung dies, it stays, but Tumble Dryers I'm all ears?

Anyone recommend Miele in particular, or any other decent make? No real budget but not wanting to spend more than double the £300 refund I'm getting.

It needs to be either standard condensing or heat pump (not had a heat pump one before), not interested in vented. And when the Beko did behave, we quite liked the way it switched itself off when it detected the items were dry, rather than doing the full 2 hour programme.

Last one was 8KG capacity, might get away with a 7KG, but generally needs to be a big capacity machine for sheets and towels etc.

Ta muchly

The Dreamer

Distinguished Member
Have had a Miele washer/dryer for years - I'd highly recommend them (assuming their dryer only machines are as reliable as the combi unit we have).

For us, the only issue has been the inlet filters need clearing out about once a year - which involves pulling the machine out and disconnecting the hose - but that's an issue with our water (from our bore hole) occasionally containing filter particles and clogging up the Miele's own filters - this won't be a concern for you - and indeed, would occur on any machine, not just a Miele.

Whenever we do a drying cycle, we have to do a 'rinse out fluff' cycle to prevent the machine from clogging up with clothing fibres - again, there'll be a different operation to perform in a dedicated dryer (I imagine cleaning out a filter). As long as you follow Miele's recommended cleaning instructions, it should last for ages.

Ours is still going strong after 15+ years - it gets used at least once a day, as our younger disabled chap goes through clothes somewhat faster than might be normal!

SyStemDeMoN

Distinguished Member
Can recommend AEG as a brand.

Have one of their washers and its incredible. Its silent and gets everything clean. I had a bosch that sometimes needed to have 2 attempts at getting a load clean.

Liquid101

Distinguished Member
We bought a Creda condenser dryer 17 years ago. It's been absolutely hammered... the clothes from two children from birth to teenagers (as well as ours) have been through it on a daily basis.

It's broken down twice - last time was about 10 years ago - each time it was a part that cost me £10.

About 5 years ago we moved into a house with a laundry room that has a vent for a dryer. I thought great, next time it goes, we'll replace it. No signs of it breaking down though. Works very well. It's seen off at least 3 washing machines in that time.

I think it was less than £150 :D

The Dreamer

Distinguished Member
Actually @Liquid101 's name has reminded me of some advice I got from a chap that maintains the washers and dryers for a crew bed-sit at Heathrow.

Only use liquid detergent in your washing machines and they'll last for years.

Since liquids came along, and they started using them, he's never had to replace the bearings of the drums in the washing machines - using powder, which is abrasive, it was the most common cause of failure of any of their washing machines. They are running loads through several washers and dryers in sheds behind the bed-sit daily (they have 14 bedrooms).

SyStemDeMoN

Distinguished Member
Just read that Beko are just rebranded Blomberg, so going on recent experience I'll be avoiding. But many thanks for your input
Eh ?

I thought they were made in Turkey ?

I wouldn't go for either make tbh

IronGiant

Us too, but he's been "burned" by buying one of their cheaper models.

sounds_good

Established Member
+1 for Miele - we got a Miele TDA150C from John Lewis at the beginning of 2017 & it's still going strong. It's gone up a lot looking at current prices but not too much over your planned budget maybe?

Flashy

Distinguished Member
Got an AEG condenser a couple of years ago, which has been a godsend since having children and seeing the amount of washing increase exponentially (despite it not adding up because their clothes considerably smaller).

Can’t fault it, except for a minor niggle that it’s meant to sense when things are dry (presumably based on weight) but it’s idea of what’s dry differs from mine by quite some way and quite some amount of water.

Liquid101

Distinguished Member
Actually @Liquid101 's name has reminded me of some advice I got from a chap that maintains the washers and dryers for a crew bed-sit at Heathrow.

Only use liquid detergent in your washing machines and they'll last for years.

Since liquids came along, and they started using them, he's never had to replace the bearings of the drums in the washing machines - using powder, which is abrasive, it was the most common cause of failure of any of their washing machines. They are running loads through several washers and dryers in sheds behind the bed-sit daily (they have 14 bedrooms).

Funnily enough we switched from liquid back to powder. Can’t remember why now. I’m sure it was something to do with clogging up the machine.

We’ve used the same repair guy for years now - unfortunately he’s had to look into other work these days because not enough people repair their machines to make it worth his while - that, and lots of machines don’t have components that can't easily be sourced or changed.

Last edited:

DJT75

Distinguished Member
Eh ?

I thought they were made in Turkey ?

I wouldn't go for either make tbh

What Is In A Name?

Blomberg is largely sold through independent retailers with a slight bump in specs and warranty but, essentially, they are rebadged Beko products. We think this is to offer the indies somethign different from the rest and to stop the big internet and box shifters from undercutting the independent retailers.

Grundig, same deal pretty much from what we can see. Higher prices, better warranty, same old Beko inside.

And yes it's called Beko we suspect as the parent companies are Arcelik and Kok Holdings. You can imagine why we know the company as Beko.

DJT75

Distinguished Member
Funnily enough we switched from liquid back to powder. Can’t remember why now. I’m sure it was something to do with clogging up the machine. .

We had Bosch tell us exactly that years ago. We went through 3 machines in 10 years, two of which were Bosch and they told us to stop using liquids, the clog up and left grey crap all over our clothes, or ghost stains that never came out. Independent repair guy said the same too, 505 of his call outs were do to people using liquid when they should be using powder.

DJT75

Distinguished Member
+1 for Miele - we got a Miele TDA150C from John Lewis at the beginning of 2017 & it's still going strong. It's gone up a lot looking at current prices but not too much over your planned budget maybe?

That's on my short list at the moment. £729 in JL, but £649 elsewhere and £100 cashback from Miele, so £549 seems like a good deal. Interested in looking into heat pump machines though. I was put off 17 months ago as I read the drying takes longer, but reading up again it's only slightly longer (10%) and far more energy efficient

jenam93

Prominent Member
We had Bosch tell us exactly that years ago. We went through 3 machines in 10 years, two of which were Bosch and they told us to stop using liquids, the clog up and left grey crap all over our clothes, or ghost stains that never came out. Independent repair guy said the same too, 505 of his call outs were do to people using liquid when they should be using powder.

Apparently the agent in washing machine powders dont activate the cleaning aspect properly with all the low temperature washes that are used these days.

A lot of washing machines clog up as people dont do full washes but choose the short cycle all the time.

Running a proper descaler (not cheap supermarket stuff) on a full hot wash every 3-6 months clears not only scale but all the grey crap too!

DOBLY

Prominent Member
The thing that gunks up washing machines is fabric conditioner. Stop using this, and do some hot washes (60-90) and you should have no problems.

BTW, isn't there a dedicated white goods forum section for this sort of thing ?

Over by there

Prominent Member
We bought a condenser with heat pump, it is A++ energy rated and a Bosch and came in at 599 (no longer made) but no doubt superseded by another. Our bills dropped and we use it all the time in the winter.

One thing to look for is the condensate recovery, ours is around 86% and no condensation on the windows in the winter. No venting of course, manual empty water drawer and reasonably dry on a finish.

Timer kicks in at 3 hours for a full load towels. However the timer adjusts according to the dryness as it is going. I have never fully timed it and it is not an issue. As I said, the bills dropped on the C rated we had.

I find the sensor for the dryness on finish mostly hit, with a few not quite but usually a short while on a clothes horse for full dry.

Edit. Would have no issues buying Miele to do the same job. If the washing machine is anything to go by, well made and just works.

Last edited:

DJT75

Distinguished Member
I thought there was a white goods forum too, but couldn't find it.

Heading towards the Miele heat pump currently, but the cheapest I can find is £745 with no cashback. Annoyingly the cashback is only available on the normal condenser models, so this works out £200 dearer.

Over by there

Prominent Member
Cant help with the cost, but I chased the usual specs looking at running costs and comparisons and kept coming back to heat pump with condenser with the caveat of a minimum number of years to last. I also have Which membership and used that as a guide as well, they reckon condenser with heat pump around half the cost of a standard per year.
I reckon I need this to run for five years to get back the extra on a standard vented. (Spreadsheet mayhem with tumble dryer loads and costs etc.)

That means another year and the extra for the condenser and heat pump payed for.

(edit. inserted "running" before costs)

Last edited:

John

Y
The thing that gunks up washing machines is fabric conditioner. Stop using this, and do some hot washes (60-90) and you should have no problems.

BTW, isn't there a dedicated white goods forum section for this sort of thing ?

So sue us for deciding not to move it whilst it has traction here :p

The latest video from AVForums

SVS Prime Wireless Pro Powered Speakers - Review Coming Soon
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom