Tube noise on philips 32pw9509

M

mjdawes

Dear all

I have had my philips 32pw9509 for about 9 months now. I have noticed a buzzing noise coming from the tube. It varies with picture content. Engineers have been out several times but it still remains. I have tried fiddling with contrast, brightness etc, to no avail.

Is this normal??

He said that it was the tube but didn't have a clue really. Even had trouble getting the back off! The company are trying to tell me it is normal but I can hear it 6 feet away!

It's not your crt. If the 'buzz' is changing pitch/volume with picture content then most likely to be ht regulation - not unusual - sometimes caused by 'loose' windings on a transformer or inductor. Could be a similar fault in the PSU but unlikely if it changes with picture content. Can be cured by a diligent 'bench' engineer with patience but not a DIY job. If you really can hear it 6 feet away then it's not acceptable - insist the fault (and it IS a fault) is cured or a ask for a replacement set under warranty. Regards, yt.

mjdawes said:
He said that it was the tube but didn't have a clue really. Even had trouble getting the back off! The company are trying to tell me it is normal but I can hear it 6 feet away!

If you can hear it from 6 feet away, that's definately not normal! :thumbsdow

Get them back and insist it's fixed, or else! :devil:

(I'd actually be surprised if it's the tube itself, but who knows?)

Good luck. :thumbsup:

The best bit was that the last engineer said he will take the matter back and seek advice. When I phoned again a 'manager' had said this was normal!!. Great manager, he can diagnose without even seeing the set!

its not normal its as red16V says

tell the manager to get it sorted. I had the same problem with my tosh, it really ruins the whole package, got it swapped no problems. Engineer tried to seal the coil but wasnt successful.

good luck

Finally got it sorted. It was a loose Earthing wire that hung down the back of the tube. Engineers said that he fixed the fault on a Toshiba a little earlier, but found it only by sheer luck.

He tightened the wire by puting cable ties in place and hey presto....no problem :clap:

1 Very :thumbsup: happy man

Hi, I'm glad you got it sorted to your satisfaction. 'Sounds' like the earthing mechanism/wire for the aquadag on the rear of the tv set wasn't making proper contact. By using a few well placed cables ties he has obviously been able to make a better electrical contact. If the earthing contact is poor then you can sometimes 'hear' a buzz/rasp etc as the eht current 'struggles' to find a return path to earth. Sounds like you had a knowledgeble site engineer - nice one. Regards, yt.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom