Tube noise on philips 32pw9509

M

mjdawes

Dear all

I have had my philips 32pw9509 for about 9 months now. I have noticed a buzzing noise coming from the tube. It varies with picture content. Engineers have been out several times but it still remains. I have tried fiddling with contrast, brightness etc, to no avail.

Is this normal??

M

mjdawes

He said that it was the tube but didn't have a clue really. Even had trouble getting the back off! The company are trying to tell me it is normal but I can hear it 6 feet away!

red16v

Novice Member
It's not your crt. If the 'buzz' is changing pitch/volume with picture content then most likely to be ht regulation - not unusual - sometimes caused by 'loose' windings on a transformer or inductor. Could be a similar fault in the PSU but unlikely if it changes with picture content. Can be cured by a diligent 'bench' engineer with patience but not a DIY job. If you really can hear it 6 feet away then it's not acceptable - insist the fault (and it IS a fault) is cured or a ask for a replacement set under warranty. Regards, yt.

Tight Git

Distinguished Member
mjdawes said:
He said that it was the tube but didn't have a clue really. Even had trouble getting the back off! The company are trying to tell me it is normal but I can hear it 6 feet away!
If you can hear it from 6 feet away, that's definately not normal! :thumbsdow

Get them back and insist it's fixed, or else! :devil:

(I'd actually be surprised if it's the tube itself, but who knows?)

Good luck. :thumbsup:

M

mjdawes

The best bit was that the last engineer said he will take the matter back and seek advice. When I phoned again a 'manager' had said this was normal!!. Great manager, he can diagnose without even seeing the set!

markymark34

its not normal its as red16V says

tell the manager to get it sorted. I had the same problem with my tosh, it really ruins the whole package, got it swapped no problems. Engineer tried to seal the coil but wasnt successful.

good luck

M

mjdawes

Finally got it sorted. It was a loose Earthing wire that hung down the back of the tube. Engineers said that he fixed the fault on a Toshiba a little earlier, but found it only by sheer luck.

He tightened the wire by puting cable ties in place and hey presto....no problem :clap:

1 Very :thumbsup: happy man

red16v

Novice Member
Hi, I'm glad you got it sorted to your satisfaction. 'Sounds' like the earthing mechanism/wire for the aquadag on the rear of the tv set wasn't making proper contact. By using a few well placed cables ties he has obviously been able to make a better electrical contact. If the earthing contact is poor then you can sometimes 'hear' a buzz/rasp etc as the eht current 'struggles' to find a return path to earth. Sounds like you had a knowledgeble site engineer - nice one. Regards, yt.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Philips OLED+935 impressions, Denon AVC110 Review, Film Reviews, News and More...
Top Bottom