tube amps for theater

G

glenlyon8266

I've always liked the sound of a good 2-channel tube setup for audio but can't afford the $ or space for 2 systems. I was wondering if anyone out there had experimented with using tube amps for an HT setup instead of the usual solid state. I'd be interested in knowing your experiences.

Paul

buns

Banned
I use a tube pre amp through which my front channels flow...... its hard to make a specific comment though. I dont think the sound that gets to the tube from the av set up is of a high enough quality for the tube to really make much of an impact. But i definitely dont have any problems using them!

ad

Plump

Standard Member
It depends what tube amps.
Be carefull here, especially if no sub in the setup etc.
You can always buy McIntosh solid state amps, they sound very tube-like anyway

Nic Rhodes

Distinguished Member
I have made some great tube amp AV set up including an all Class A SE one! It can work very well. An amp is an amp.

Don't forget Copland now make a five channel analogue pre-amp and matching (SS) power amp. As long as you don't mind using onboard decoding you gain a certain warmth and smoothness from the pre-amp stage, but without sacrificing dynamics and electricity cost in the power amp stage. I believe the pair retail for around £3500.

Ian J

Banned
Originally posted by his Dudeness
Don't forget Copland now make a five channel analogue pre-amp and matching (SS) power amp. As long as you don't mind using onboard decoding you gain a certain warmth and smoothness from the pre-amp stage, but without sacrificing dynamics and electricity cost in the power amp stage. I believe the pair retail for around £3500.

Hifi Choice have reviewed it this month. I want one :)

Nic Rhodes

Distinguished Member
Originally posted by garmtz
An amp is an amp?! You cannot drive any speaker with any amp. A careful match will reap great benefits my friend.

I will have to remember that and stop designing the things.;)

garmtz

Standard Member
Originally posted by The Beekeeper
I will have to remember that and stop designing the things.;)
I am sorry, I didn't mean it like it sounded. I do think you know what you are talking about. It's just that matching amplifier to speakers is more important than lots of people think. In most cases, large differences between power amps are due to the fact that some simply cannot power your speakers sufficiently and will sound bad, whilst these amps will sound brilliant with more efficient loudspeakers.

Nic Rhodes

Distinguished Member
No need to apologise, actually thought it quite funny, cheered my day up no end

The latest video from AVForums

Oculus Quest 2 VR headset + Rotel A14 MkII Amp Reviews & Best of the Month
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom