Tube Amp - Par £300 - Grado GS1000i

snedie

Standard Member
Any reccomendations on tube amps around the £300 mark to pair with my GS1000's. I got the Asus Xonar Essence ST last week and was amazed at the difference it has made, and am fairly convinced I can get an even better performance from a good tube amp.

Any thoughts, recommendations...complaints are welcomed :thumbsup:

davejames

A £300 tube amp to a battery powered iBasso is certainly going to be a step down.

Im pretty sure thats the line in socket on the front there, which you would connect to your Xonar, shame they didnt put it on the back though as it means you have a cable right next to the volume control, use smaller plugs otherwise its a mess like this: http://img689.imageshack.us/img689/7219/eimgp7690.jpg

Last edited:

snedie

Standard Member
A £300 tube amp to a battery powered iBasso is certainly going to be a step down.

Im pretty sure thats the line in socket on the front there, which you would connect to your Xonar, shame they didnt put it on the back though as it means you have a cable right next to the volume control, use smaller plugs otherwise its a mess like this: http://img689.imageshack.us/img689/7219/eimgp7690.jpg

I could see why it's useful, say if you had it in your inside jacket pocket for instance. But yes, if I where to use it as a dedicated "amp" for my headphones on my pc it would have been much better for that jack to be on the rear of the unit.

Also, what headphones are they? I've never seen "in-ear" phones with a 1/4 jack.

davejames

No me neither, perhaps he chopped the plug off & fitted something else?

davejames

Yeah it might have had one of those right angled jacks, I really dont like it being on the front like that though, looks very awkward to use, its almost getting in the way of using the volume.. strange.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom