Tube amp or ss for QA 3050i ?

Chrisdee

Novice Member
Hello all. First post so please go gentle. Am moving house to a bigger place with thick stone walls so I decided to upgrade my hi-fi (a Technics st hd55) (which by the way is still going strong after at least twenty years) and get a proper stereo sound system. After many a long evening spent investigating, I happily came across a pair of QAcoustics 3050i floorstanders at a good price and now have them sitting in my living room awaiting their ampifier. These are the specs:
  • Enclosure type: 2-way reflex
  • Bass Unit: 2 x 165 mm ( 6.5 in)
  • Treble Unit: 22 mm (0.9 in)
  • Frequency Response (+3 dB, -6 dB): 44 Hz – 30 kHz
  • Average Impedance: 6 Ohm
  • Minimum Impedance: 4 Ohm
  • Sensitivity (2.83 [email protected] m): 91 dB
  • Stereo Amplifier: 25 - 100 W
  • AV Receiver (2 ch. driven): 50 - 165 W
  • Internal Amplifier Power: -
  • Crossover Frequency: 2.5 Hz
  • Effective Volume: 32.4 L (1977 cu in)
I was on the point of and still probably might get a Denon DRA 800h which has lots of functionality and seems to be getting good reviews. (though worryingly there seem to be quite a few complaints about its software in these forums) More relevantly, I don't have any worries about it powering the speakers capably. But then I came across the wonderful world of tube amps. So I've been looking at the Cayin A-50T. Twice the money, none of the connection stuff but definitely better looking and supposedly a much better sound. (I want the system for music more than anything else) "Sweeter" and more "musical" and the words that are most commonly used to describe it. My main question is about compatibility; here are the specs, will they drive the QAcoustics?

Tube complement: four Mullard EL34, two 12AX7EH, two 12AUX7EH. Output transformer taps: 4, 8 ohms. Power output into 8 ohms: 35W Ultralinear (15.3dBW), 16W Triode (12dBW). Frequency response: 10Hz–50kHz, ±1dB. Input sensitivity: 370mV. Input impedance: 100k ohms. THD: 1.0% (1kHz). Signal/noise: 89dB. Power consumption: 280W.

Other than that, well I'm just not sure if it's worth all the extra moneyreally as if I go the tube rute I will then have to save up for a streamer too which I will inevitably want to incorporate somewhere down the line. Will the difference in sound quality be so different as to make it worthwhile? I wouldn't call myself an audiophile but I like some good sounds :) I'd really appreciate your views and opinions, a big thank you to all who are reading.

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Streaming Theatrical Releases And The Future Of Cinema
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom