1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TTT Question

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by Paden, Jan 18, 2003.

1. Paden

Paden

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I haven't read the books so could do with some insight to the part of the film where Frodo falls into the Dead Marshes & Gollum pulls him out.
    It seems as though Frodo & Gollum "connect" but doesn't go onto explain exactly what's going on.
    Does it in the book?

Cheers, Paul

2. Setenza

Setenza

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +226
    In the book, Frodo doesn't specifically fall into the marshes. This is a another example of plot adjustments to highlight specific ideas like the "connection" between the two.

Basicly, Frodo & Gollum both share the common experience of bearing the ring. The pain, suffering and temptation it causes to those who carry it is a common bond between them. Also the fact that they are both hobbits. Frodo also adopts a protective, paternal role towards Smeagol, particularly in the fact that he is one of the few individuals that shows him compassion.

But this only further fuels the Gollum?Smeagol duality which was excellently explored on screen.

3. alextgreen

alextgreen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I thought the gollum/smegal interaction was both hilarious anf fantastic. Everyone I saw the film with hated it, but I was the only LOTR reader in the bunch.

4. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +520
    There are a number of things in the films which I think work very well because although they aren't directly transcribed from the book they are very firmly rooted in something that happens in the book. The book (as far as I can remember) contains just one scene where Sam spies on Smeogol talking to himself in a very split-personality sort of way - in fact I think the book even describes the greenish light in Gollum's eyes appearing and dissappearing as he switched characters. The film very much builds on this idea and makes it more explicit. I think that works well.

There are a lots of nice little touches like this. I like the bit in the FOTR prologue, for example, where the ring in Isildur's hand shrinks from a size that fits Sauron's finger to a size that fits Isildur. Again, this is not taken directly from the book, but there are several suggestions that the ring is able to make itself tighter and looser so that it can fall off its owner's finger unexpectedly without being notced, so it makes perfect sense that this might happen.