Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

TT2 Is the upgrade worth it?

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Chipster, Jan 22, 2005.

1. Chipster

Chipster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I have been very happy with my current TheaterTek version 1.5 especially when using it with ffdShow.

It it been running problem free for many months now, no tweaking, no crashes, I just watch movies and enjoy them.

I have been considering the free upgrade to Ver2.0 for some time, but despite searching the TT forums, I cant find any info regarding comparisons etc, other than that an even later version 2.06 is now available.

My question.. Has anyone had any problems with installing or using the later versions of TheaterTek, and do the later versions offer any improvement in picture quality?

Or do I just leave well alone?

Cheers,
    Chipster.

2. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    What graphics card have you got and which type of display and size do you use?

2.06 is fairly stable for most, but you'll see from the forums that odd problems still exist but more confined I think to non-DVD uses.

Do you have Norton Ghost or Drive Image? I ask because if you have the ability to image your system before upgrading then your way back is painless.

There is still a conflict between 1.5 and 2.0 co-existing as far as I can see with regards to the serial number and subsequent activation code, you'd be advised therefore to uninstall 1.5 first since if you try to run one and then the other you may have annoyances like re-activating.

If you're eligible for a free upgrade I think it's a hard call, especially if you're very happy with what you have at present .. it's hard doing A/B comparisons due to the co-existence problems, in all honesty the difference won't be 'night and day' IMHO, an improvement probably but by how much is harder to say.

3. Chipster

Chipster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi KraGorn.

I have a ATI based 9600XT, DVI to Sanyo Z2 @ 1280x720 (D720P)

AMD 2500+ with corsair 2 x 256 memory. Abit NF7 rev2 MB.

I don’t have ghost or similar, but that sounds the best option perhaps. I really don’t want unnecessary problems, just because of my curiosity.

I'm so happy with the way my system is running, but I can never turn down the opportunity of something for nothing.

???????

4. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    I had the same graphics and projector some time back ... others will probably disagree but since you say you're very happy with it then I suggest you stick with it. I don't believe the improvement you'd get just by switching to the nVidia codes would be great and unless you have a clean way back then leave well alone. :)

5. Chipster

Chipster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks.

I will take your valued advice and leave well alone for now. I might just get some back up software in the future and give the upgrade a try.

Till then, if it aint broke etc etc.

Not sure if there is a time limit on upgrade? but hey, whatever.

Anybody else upgraded TheaterTek 1.5 to vers 2+??? with very positive results?

Cheers.