1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TT Radeon 9600 Calibration - Plasma

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by tbrar, Aug 29, 2003.

1. tbrar

tbrar
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    [edited to try to make more sense!]

Looking for some advise please. Ive recently placed my order for a HCPC from Phil Uvem, upon which Theatretek will be the player with a Radeon 9600 graphics card. The display is the Pioneer PDP-433MXE plasma panel.

Is anyone using something simalar ? The reason that I ask is with respect to correct calibrated settings. There are three stages to this if I am correct, in that the output from the Radeon, secondly the software player and finally the panel.

Basically, the final stage will be claibrating the panel. Thats fine, however should I:-

1.0 Leave seetings on Radeon and TT at defaults and then just calibrate panel?

2.0 Or should I adjust both the Radeon and TT settings from default, before calibrating panel?

3.0 Or should I keep the Radeon settings at default and adjust the TT defaults, before calibrating panel?

If the recommended procedure is '2' or '3' above what settings are recommended?

I hope this makes sense, as evident am complete newbie to HCPC so please bear with and any advice would be very much appreciated.

Tony

2. philipb

philipb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +129
    There is another option which I think is generally agreed to be best, but costs some money.

First get the screen calibrated professionally - many of us have got Gordon from Convergent-AV to do it. This will get all the internal settings correct. Contact him via the forum for a quote. The default settings on the 433 are not optimal and do need careful setting up to get the best from the display. All of us who have used Gordon think it money well spent.

After that do not make any adjustments to the display itself - all further adjustments should be done, in your case, in TT.

With a proper calibration of the plasma itself I found that most of the time the defaults in either a DVD player or TT were fine, or needed small adjustments.

I have a Radeon 9600 + TT + 433. Left all the 9600 settings alone, and just needed a small contrast alteration in TT.

3. tbrar

tbrar
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Philip,

Thanks for the reply.

Gordons been round a couple of times already to calibrate, but not my DVI input and has calibrated according to my Arcam and Lumagen at the specific scan rates that I have been using through inputs 1 & 2 on panel.

As you know the panel has individual memories for each scan rate/resolution, ie 768p at 50Hz, will have different memory setting to 768p at 75Hz and different again at 576p at 75Hz .

Hence what I was proposing to do, is use those settings within the integrator menu allready calibrated for say 768p at 59.94Hz and mirror those for the DVI input. Then once I had calibrated as best as possibel with Avia etc I would get Gordon down again, that was always the intention. As I am changing source and input, the whole process from source to panel will have to be professionally recalibrated for optimal settings.

However, what I really wanted to know is the settings on the Radeon and Theatertek that are optimal from the offset ?. Speaking to Rob, he has told me that Radeon should be left alone. I also understand that some settings have been posted for Theatertek that are optimal when used with Radeon 9600 within a projector set up, are you using any of these?

Any assistance/information would be greatly appreciated.

Tony

4. tbrar

tbrar
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Philip,

I have found this information on another post. Are your TT settings simalar:-

If I am to understand correctly then:-

1) Use the ISF calibrated settings I already have for other input type and source
    2) Leave Radeon (Overlay ??) settings at default
    3) Use the above settings in Theatetek
    4) Calibrate black/white with Avia in panel if they seem way out on panel
    5) Get Gordon down to finish the job accurately

Is this the right way to go about it ??

Tony

5. tbrar

tbrar
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Anyone,

Is the above correct?.

Radeon at defaults. Change Theatertek; brightness to 7.5, Contrast to 100 and Gamma to 81.

Finally, calibrate display to this input (get Gordon booked).

Thanks..

6. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,113
    I'd agree with this in principal. Jeff may have some observations to make with regard to the correct default settings but they seem about right.

7. tbrar

tbrar
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Keith

Does that say Bermuda? :eek:

Tony

8. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,113
    its a joke been there for years

9. tbrar

tbrar
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ahhh .....

I was gonna pop round, as Berkshire's just a cover ! :D

10. philipb

philipb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +129
    I didn't find the TT settings were that far off, but I'm not using a PJ so that may have an effect.