1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TT player Video settings

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by NickBull, Feb 21, 2002.

1. NickBull

NickBull

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I tried the THX optimiser screens for Contrast (8 white boxes, 4 shades) and Brigtness (drop shadow on thx logo etc) and found that things were amis, Brightness was a touch low on both NTSC and PAL, and I had to up this to 56 (from 50). This is probably down to the age of my pj.

Contrast was too high, I was getting 3 out of 4 whites, I dropped this right down to 95 and got distinct white shades. I think this may need to go a bit higher though, how distinct do these shades need to be, just about discernable or clearly visible?

Has anyone else played about and what settings are you using?

The card is a Radeon AIW with 7075 drivers, Barco 808 with contrast at 76 and brigtness at 43 (are these a bit high?)

I've left the other 3 settings as they are but people mention that the gamma for PAL might need to be lowered, anyone had any experience wioth this?

Cheers

Nick

2. fatrich

fatrich

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    Hi Nick
    i was lead to believe that the contrast should be between 70 and 75 and the brightness between 40 and 45, i usually have the brightness at 41 and the contrast at 71.

Roland is coming up North soon so i am going to arrange for him to visit i seem to have a convergence problem is needs doing 1 to 2 times a week and it p----s me off.and when watching movies with blue sky and clouds the clouds seem to be a little red.
    My new TT player is on it's way.
    cheers

richard

3. NickBull

NickBull

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Richard,

Hopefully the convergence problem will be something simple, a dodgy seating of the convergence board or something? I'm sure Roland will sort it.

My pj seems to be looking better, don't know if it's had a final settle and just happened to settle to a point where it looks great, the focus seems to have improved, although that could be the slightly warmer weather and the pj getting up to temperature a lot faster. I'm not complaining.

I think I might reset the TT controls to the 'facory' settings, and see how close I can get by lowering pj contrast to 70 and increasing brightness to 45. I think brightness on my pj is quite low as it's got a lot of miles on it.

Looking at the TT forum it seems that a lot of people find the TT contrast of 120 too high, and 110 is better, so I'll base it around that, overall though I think it's a fantastic player, I watched the Pans on Fast and Furious the other night and they were spot on. The more I watch the more impressed I get.

Cheers

Nick

4. tryingtimes

tryingtimes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +548
    Hi Rich
    I'm not sure how long you've had you pj but mine was still drifting out of convergence wildly 2 months after it was installed.
    It's settled down now (nearly 3 months) and I converge every couple of weeks (and it's not out by much)

So there might not be a reason to panic yet(unless you've had it ages :) )

Hope that helps
    Alex

5. NickBull

NickBull

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This is worrying, should I be converging all the time? I think mine looks better not even than when Roland did it, dunno if it's just settled in, but I don't really want to go tinkering with summat if it ain't broke.

Nick

6. tryingtimes

tryingtimes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +548
    If the picture looks good then I don't see a reason to tinker.
    It only takes me about 10 mins so I don't mind.
    I use the grid in DisplayMate.
    At least ours are easy to converge - I wouldn't want to do it on a geometry based unit too often. - All that pincusion, rotation, keystone stuff - arghh!

7. fatrich

fatrich

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    Hi Alex
    My BG808 has been installed since early September , no point in flapping just yet shall wait untill Roland has a look at it first.

Does anyone have to keep adjusting H-phase and h-size and the blanking for the sides, with different movies and aspect ratio's i sometimes get the picture spilling over the screen and sometimes not quite up tothe black border.

regards

richard

8. tryingtimes

tryingtimes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +548
    Hi Rich
    I just use the expand button in the aspect ratio section of TT.
    I rarely touch the other projector settings.
    The blanking should remain constant - Have you set it up separately for your PAL and NTSC settings - they don't copy accross like the convergence settings when you 'copy block'

Regards
    Alex

9. Paul D

Paul D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +391
    I thought i had a problem with drifting convergence/focus with my Barco 808s.
    It was "out" at the start of the film, but spot on by the end!.

I found it was caused by the room temperature.
    Because i have a dedicated room, it's only heated when i want to use it.
    Even after firing up the PJ( the heating too) an hour beforehand, still meant the convergence was out.

I read over on the AVS forums, that room temperature plays a big part with CRT projectors. To be honest, Roland did mention this during installation. But with so much going on, it just went over my head.

My solution was to plug in a low wattage electric space heater. I leave it set to keep the room from dipping below a set level. So rather than walking into a cold room, it's now mild. It's very cheap to heat the room this way, as the blinds/+ blackout blind are always down.

Since i have done this, the convergence/focus has been spot on almost straight away. In fact i've found i only need to fire up the PJ 15 to 20 minutes beforehand, for a "perfect" picture. I haven't had to touch the convergence since.

The key here is due to the large 8" lenses. They take a while to heat up throughout. As they do, they change shape slightly. When the PJ was being setup, the focus and convergence where optimised with the lenses thoroughly warmed up.

In summer i may find i have the opposite problem!. But i installed Aircon last September, so hope i can avoid heat issues.

You may find your convergence problems may be temperature related as well etc.

Good luck!

10. NickBull

NickBull

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My room is the warmest in the house, it never really cools down for some reason. I find 10 mins into a film everything looks great.

I'm more and more happy with everything. TT has certainly improved a lot of the little niggles I had.

11. fatrich

fatrich

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    My dedicated cinema room is my converted garage and to be honest it's bloody freezing in there so that could have a big bearing on the problem, i have a thermostatically controlled heater in the room which i only switch on half an hour before i sit down and watch the film.

Alex maybe your right about the settings i have changed the graphics card since Roland set it up.Can u run through the procedure for pal block and ntsc block please.

cheers

richard

12. tryingtimes

tryingtimes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +548
    If you have different refresh rates (or resolutions) for PAL and NTSC then your Barco will have set them up on different memory blocks.
    When you copy from one block to another - most settings get copied accross (the biggie being Convergence) but for some reason Blanking doesn't so you have to do that manually for each block.

This is a link for a thread from Roland talking you through copying blocks

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=26093&highlight=good+block

It sounds like temperature coupld be your biggest cause though - my horiz width changes (gets wider) over the first 20 mins of warm-up!

Hope that helps
    Alex

13. fatrich

fatrich

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    Nick got my new TT player and installed it and registered it, it coudn't of been easier.Now got to take the hcpc home(installed it at work because of the internet access) and see how it performs on screen and see if the sound works. got any tips on fine tuning like brightness, contrast and gamma levels? and how exactly do you use the aspect ratio editor.
    Are you looking forward to Friday's kick off?

cheers
    richard

14. Ken

Ken
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Richard
    The pdf file on the TT disc explains it quite well.
    Ken

15. NickBull

NickBull

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Richard,

Sorry I didn't reply last week, I was off ill Tuesday to Friday and didn't get on line.

With the Radeon and 7075 drivers I have brightness at 56, think this is because of the age of my projector and it losing some brightness. Contrast is slightly lower than the default at 115.

Every other setting is the same as default. I used the THX optimiser on the PAL version of the Phantom menace. Some R1 versions have the same optimiser like Planet of the Apes and Moulin Rouge but the Video controls were dissbled when I tried to play the optimiser.

PJ settings are contrast 75 and Brightness 43.

If you adjest the Video setting they are stored at disc level, so if a disc needs a slightly different setting it will be stored and re used every time the disc is played. Thsi can also be a bit annoying when playing about with the settings.

Apart from that Things seem to run as smooth as ever and pq is great.

Fridays game was fantastic, I was feeling better before the game and on top of the world after it. Had about 15 friends round all watching it on the big screen, it got quite defening at stages but i'll be doing it again. Bradford look like the team to beat this year.

Cheers

Nick